We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional chinese music

Sweden
Level Contributor
8 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional chinese music

Does anyone out there know where I can go to hear live traditional chinese music (ie guqin, pipa, erhu and the like, not peking opera please) in Beijing/Hangzhou/Suzhou or Shanghai?

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional chinese music

oh sweety you even know guqin~

There used to be a guqin theme restaurant in Beijing, but it might close now. There are quite a few learning studios. If you don't have to listen to a formal concert, you can visit one. I don't think people there would mind to give you a show. Where do you base?

pipa is relatively less fahsionable at the moment IMO.

One hidden gem in Beijing is Beihai Folk Band. I don't know if they have a fixed schedule, but mostly in Beihai Park on Saturday. Before it was at 10 am but some say now maybe 1 pm...

They look at this: http://www.56.com/u53/v_OTg1OTgzMjI.html (they also have a pipa~)

But in winter if the weather is not good, not sure the elderly will still come out ~,~

In Beihai Park you show and ask locals direction for this 北海公园民乐队

Bon voyage~

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional chinese music

Too bad you are not in Kunming. Easy to hear traditional instruments in the afternoons in city parks. Retired people gather to play for their own amusement and pleasure. It is their hobby; they are not being paid. They spend lots of time rehearsing on weekday afternoons, and then on weekends do actual free performances. Often two or three people will sing. Sometimes folk music, sometimes snatches of opera.

But not the guqin. It stays at home because it's difficult to carry and set up and tune. It doesn't like abrupt changes in weather. These various "qin" instruments are more often used indoors.

This is true in most medium-sized Chinese cities where the weather is not too bitter. I've heard similar groups playing all over the southwest and southeast. Similarly, folk dancing is popular as an active hobby, mostly for the retired population, though younger people join in as well. Not rare to find instrumental performance, singing, dancing all together in the same park. Lots of fun.

If I'm visiting a new smaller city for whatever reason, I usually gravitate to a city park on Sunday afternoons in search of such treats. Snacks are usually for sale nearby. For visitors who are in search of "the real China" (whatever that might mean) such informal gatherings provide a very nice taste of it. Low-key, "family" entertainment. Mostly by and for locals. Easy to strike up conversations.

I congratulate the Original Poster on seeking out these opportunities.

Edited: 11 October 2015, 08:29
Sweden
Level Contributor
8 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional chinese music

Thanks for the infos, will check out Beihai. I usually try to make a visit to Jingshan at the weekends, a lot of singing, sometimes an instrument or two. There used to be a cafe near Xidan where guqin was performed regularly, but no more. I am a bit surprised that there seem to be no concerts given in any of the concert halls, even been to one back home in Sweden....

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional chinese music

there are some concerts. What is your schedule? Or do you live in Beijing?

On Nov 22nd there is a guqin concert in Zhongshan Concert Hall: http://www.yanchupiao.com/Ticket_142364.html

Sweden
Level Contributor
8 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional chinese music

Hi, thanks for your effort! Unfortunately I am not inBeijing then, but Shanghai. Beijing 4-8.11, Hangzhou 13-18.11, Suzhou 18-20.11 and then Shanghai 20-23.11. The Lingering garden in Suzhou I know has performances in summer, but not this time of year I think.

6. Re: Traditional chinese music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2016, 10:51