We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with Affordable Asia

Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Travel with Affordable Asia

Has anyone booked a trip with Affordable Asia? Would you recommend that company and what was your experience? Thanks for any info...I'm facing a deadline to sign up.

62 replies to this topic
New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

I'm also curious....Anyone?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

Please try to do a search first. See this: tripadvisor.com/…29882833

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
6 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

We just returned from a trip to China using Affordable Asia as the tour operators. The trip was excellent and the tour organizers were terrific. We went on the Beijing, Xian, Yangtse River Cruise and Shanghai package. Everything went extremely well. Affordable Asia is a very competent, capable company, with excellent tour guides who are knowledgeable, caring and friendly. We were very welcomed during the entire trip.

Affordable Asia took care of the international flights and all internal flights in China. The tour guides were extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and took care of the tour group with great care. We were met at every airport, and brought to each airport for departure. Our tour guides even put in wake up calls fur the group each morning. Bus tours were all arranged with competent drivers. All tour guides were willing to share their own personal experiences and observations about life in China and the new emerging Chinese culture.

The hotels were top notch, at least 4-5 stars in US terms. Breakfasts were excellent in each.

We did not go on any of the optional dinner excursions in any city, but those that did said they were wonderful. We did book all tour excursions, and they were well worth it.

The river tour was fun, but you can book the optional excursions either with Affordable Asia or Victoria on the ship. Meals on the cruise were all excellent as well.

Affordable Asia is part of the Ritz tour operations, and are highly recommended. For first timers in China, these are the people you want to use. You will not be disappointed, and you will get great value for your money. We were lucky to see a great price on the internet.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

chazcat99,

It sounds like you had an incredible trip. Thanks for taking time the give us the heads-up on AffordableAsia.com, since they are fairly new and reviews are hard to come by. My husband and I have booked this same tour for July and we're very excited to go. We've just gotten our visas from the NYC consulate office (an adventure in itself), and we're busy learning some basic Mandarin. We also chose to forego the dinner options offered with the tour package in favor of leaving our evenings free to explore on our own in terms of food and otherwise. I'd be curious to know how difficult you found it to navigate during your time away from the group in each city and/or what places you would recommend for dinner near the hotels on the itinerary. Finally, were there [mandatory] shopping stops? How large was your tour group?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

Looking forward to those answers as well... regarding shopping stops and free time management....

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

my partner and i just returned from 10 days in china, beijing, wuxi, suzhou and shanghai. overall this was an awesome vacation that far exceeded my expectations from a company called 'affordable.' air china is a good airline. they fed us twice coming and going and given the length of the flights kept us comfortable. one of the best aspects of this trip was that we ended up in a group of 4, one other couple from alaska. the 4 of us got along famously. the hotels were truly 5 star - the beijing hilton/doubletree and the fudan crown plaza in shanghai. the rooms were gorgeous, the service superb and the included buffet breakfasts were outstanding. our guide in beijing, leo, did an amazing job. he is smart, charming, open and extremely well versed on the history of china. he was willing to adapt the schedule to meet our desires. our driver, mr jeung, navigated the insane beijing traffic like a nascar star - as good as a disney e-ticket. after 3 nights in beijing we flew to shanghai and were met by a new guide, mr wu who only knew how to yell and didn't listen too well. he was a real let down from leo although he is mainly a good guy, i guess. he was very controlling and kept trying to move us along from one pre-programmed shopping opportunity to the next. there was a mainly wasted day and night in which we went directly from the airport to suzhou where we toured an old chinese garden which was beautiful but not worth the 90 minutes away from shanghai. we spent the night at the astor hotel, a tired 2.5 stars at best. it seems the entire reason for this leg was to visit/shop at a silk factory. fortunately we were too late. there was no time to explore this city billed as the venice of the east because we had to head out to wuxi to visit taihu lake, the 3rd largest lake in china. very beautiful, but we would have much preferred spending the time in shanghai which, at this point, was 2 hours away. the crown plaza is at least as wonderful as the double tree. add-ons to the forbidden city, the great wall, harbor cruise and lama temple were all worth it. our companions said the peiking duck evening was ok. but they really like the acrobats. unfortunately, mr wu rushed us through the shanghai museum in 75 minutes so we could get to shop at the pearl factory. we went back to he museum and could have spent the entire day. despite mr wu's abrasive, pushy approach we had a great time in shanghai although we like beijing better. so, this is pretty much the affordable asia review. other than that we loved china, particularly when we ventured off the beaten path to eat and shop in traditional areas and interact with everyday people. don't miss the hutongs in beijing, the flower and bird market, yu garden and the art district in shanghai.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

Hi mark w,

My husband and I traveled with Affordable Asia in July and also had an incredible trip. I was mainly inspired to reply to your post because we, too, had Mr. Wu in Shanghai and found him to be a real downer in comparison to the wonderful three guides we'd had in Beijing, Xian, and Yichang. Our group of 13, having been sick to death of shopping stops in Shanghai etc. made it clear to him at the airport that we wanted no part of such excursions to say the least. His response? He showed up the following morning to take us to the Shanghai Museum in a cheesy (really it was yellow) montessori mini-bus w/o AC! Like you, he rushed us through the museum in record time and was just very brusque in general. Thankfully, that was at the end of our tour and we had booked three extra nights in Shanghai to explore the city on our one. That proved to be an excellent decision, as we got to shop, ride the subways, explore the Yuan Gardens, the Jade Buddha Temple, and shop some more. I think there is definitely something to be said for squirreling some independent travel time, even if one is too gun-shy to forgo a tour altogether. In our case, AA's package was just too good to pass up.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

Our group of 13, having been sick to death of shopping stops in Shanghai

Sorry. I meant shopping stops in BEIJING.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
6 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

We went on the Affordable Asia trip last March, 2011. We took the Beijing, Xian, Yang-tse River cruise Plus Shanghai package. I highly recommend them, and would not have any worries about booking with them or taking a tour with them again. You will get your money's worth and some of the best travel memories you can imagine.

Affordable Asia is one of the most professional travel groups I have come across. They were very competent, friendly and accommodating. The tour guides were all very proficient in English, giving great backgrounds, histories with fun, personal facts. They met us at every airport, took care of us during the tour, and dropped us off at the airport. They even entered our wake up calls. The hotels and tours were at least what was promised, and sometimes much better.

The tours were well planned, but there was enough flexibility to go out on your own. We did not book any dinner optional tours but others said they were great fun.

China is not a scary place, and Affordable Asia makes it even easier to deal with. The people are friendly and try very hard to understand English.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
6 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel with Affordable Asia

We went on the Affordable Asia trip last March, 2011. We took the Beijing, Xian, Yang-tse River cruise Plus Shanghai package. I highly recommend them, and would not have any worries about booking with them or taking a tour with them again. You will get your money's worth and some of the best travel memories you can imagine.

Affordable Asia is one of the most professional travel groups I have come across. They were very competent, friendly and accommodating. The tour guides were all very proficient in English, giving great backgrounds, histories with fun, personal facts. They met us at every airport, took care of us during the tour, and dropped us off at the airport. They even entered our wake up calls. The hotels and tours were at least what was promised, and sometimes much better.

The tours were well planned, but there was enough flexibility to go out on your own. We did not book any dinner optional tours but others said they were great fun.

China is not a scary place, and Affordable Asia makes it even easier to deal with. The people are friendly and try very hard to understand English.

Reply to: Travel with Affordable Asia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted