We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi

Plymouth, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Wifi

Need data whe visiting Hong Kong,shanghai and Tokyo is there a portable WiFi or sim that covers all three or do I need to purchase separate for all three destinations..

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
3 replies to this topic
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi

Portable Wifi needs a sim inside. These are different countries, so you need different sim cards to prevent roaming.

Plymouth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi

Thanks

Boston...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi

I was going to China and Hong Kong this summer until my step son couldn't get a Chinese visa. Now I have 2 prepaid SIM cards available for fast 4G 3GB data and voice for China and Hong Kong. These are good for 7 days and can be topped up/extended via their website. The SIM goes through Hong Kong so banned sites like Google are accessible. The SIMs are still in their original un-opened packages and can be activated once in China. After inserted into the phone, when the phone is turned on, the SIM is activated. These SIMs must be activated by 9/30/2018. I paid $18 each which includes shipping from eBay. If interested, I can ship them to you for a cheaper price - you name the price but it has to be reasonable. As a bonus, these SIMs also work in South Korea. So you could visit the DMZ line when they open North Korea. I didn't find any SIMs that could work with Japan and China because, like you, I wanted a SIM that could go throughout Asia. This was a good alternative. If interested, respond to this message in this forum.

Mentioned in this post
DMZ
DMZ
933 Reviews
Paju, South Korea
Asia
Asia
World
Reply to: Wifi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted