We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Wirral
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Hi, I want to book a flight from Shangai to Xi'An and I've got 2 cases with a total weight of 30kg. I can't see on China Southern or China Eastern online booking forms anywhere to add an extra bag. Checked forums on here and I can't find the answer to this question, does anyone know if I can book and pay for an extra bag when booking my ticket, cheers

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,375 posts
849 reviews
1. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

You are allowed 20kg per person. You will be charged for extra luggage and pay at the airport.

Are you booking on the airline's website? Better to book with an agent like ctrip.com

Wirral
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Hi thanks for your reply tried booking though c.trip.com and the same it takes me to there website with no options to pay for the extra bag, thanks Andrew

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,375 posts
849 reviews
3. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

You don't pay ahead, you pay at the airport.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
4. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Overweight baggage is charged by the kilo. If flying economy class which comes wtih 20 kg free checked bag allowance (most Chinese airlines), the overage is calculated at 1.5% x the full economy Y fare price or 1.5% x 1580 RMB = 23.70 RMB per kilo. So for 10 extra kilos, that would be 237 RMB. Payable at airport check-in.

Sometimes you can get a First Class early bird special that's as low as RMB 1200 and includes a 40 kg free checked bag allowance, so that might be worth considering if economy fare + extra weight charge total is pushing up to RMB 1000+..

Wirral
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Thanks for you reply I'll check out the price of first class cheers

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
6. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Anyone knows the excess baggage charges for China eastern airlines departing from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,134 posts
7. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Sorry guys, but at least China Eastern has a bit of a different extra baggage rules en.ceair.com/guide2/xlfw/t2013527_10311.html and the allowance in Eco should be 2 times 23 kg.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
8. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

The OP was asking about Shanghai to Xi'an which is most definitely domestic, and per the link #7 provided, the economy allowance is 20 kg. #6 is asking about an international (regional) route. Apples and oranges, but KUL-PVG in economy is 2 x 23 kg. Piece system is used on internationals to North America.

China Southern has nearly identical rules on the domestic and the international.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,134 posts
9. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

Thanks kvchinaa, overlooked that OP asked for a domestic flight. Sorry for that.

10. Re: China Southern or Eastern extra baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2018, 09:47