We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covering up in the evenings

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Covering up in the evenings

Staying at the Voyager Beach for 2 weeks in July just been reading old posts about malaria, does it mean that I won't be able to wear any nice dresses with bare arms in the evening, even if covered with insect repellant.

uk
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Covering up in the evenings

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchForums…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Covering up in the evenings

Hi,

You must take anti-malarial tablets so they are your main defence, covering up or not will make little difference to your chances of contracting malaria.

It will reduce the chances of getting bitten, but having said that I spend 3 months at a time at the coast and unless I am going somewhere smart I spend the whole time, day and night in short sleeved shirt, shorts and flip flops. I use repellent on my legs if I am going out at night as just about everywhere I go is outside or open sided. I still have a stock of 50% Deet spray, but increasingly use natural spray (Boots own brand is a good one). Maybe you should try Avon Skin So Soft.

I'd say if you want to wear nice dresses then do, lots of others do, just makle sure you've applied repellent

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Covering up in the evenings

hi as doff said make sure you take your malarial tabs. my wife always dresses up in the evening, and her arms are bare. she just sprays alittle deet and all is ok. we have never been bitten in all the times we have been there.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Covering up in the evenings

Thanks for your replies have recently seen the effects of Malaria in a work colleague, they managed to save her life but she's lost the tops of her fingers down to the second joint in some of them. So will definately be taking anti-malaria treatment. I was worried about being bitten to death in the evening and also worried about being bitten by sand flies etc. during the day do you know of any good suntan lotion with insect repellant in, got a good one in the Maldives 2 years ago

plymouth england
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Covering up in the evenings

with a bit of luck most of the mozzies will have scarpered but at the moment with this very heavy rain the nasty little *&*^%$%&** have bitten me alive ..and I have used every ruddy spray -cream - gel etc; mind you the maize is fantastic ..well thats if it doesn`t get washed away ,, hard times here again ,,

6. Re: Covering up in the evenings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations