We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

Bradley Stoke...
Level Contributor
156 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

Nearly ready to book a 3 day safari.Just cant decide now as to whether to go to just Tsavo w and Amboseli or to do Tsavo W and E? I like the sound of the various lodges but definitely do not want to sleep in a tent.My daughter(12) would have a fit!Any suggestions which would be the best ? I also want to be able to see Kilimanjaro too,so i guess Amboseli is best for that.

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

I haven't been to Tsavo for so long I couldn't comment - but 'tent' doesn't really do justice to most of the tented camps, which explains why they cost more than most lodges.

As for Amboseli - it's very nice. Hundreds of elephant & a good chance to see Kilimanjaro (depending on clouds). Serena lodge there is nice.

Surrey
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

Hi,

I did a 3 day Tsavo West/Amboseli safari in April.

In Amboseli we stayed in the Kibo Safari Camp and I was worried about it being tents but they were amazing! It's not often you get a tent with a double bed, toilet, basin and shower inside!

I've posted a review for Kibo on here and added some photo's too, have a look and maybe that will help?

Either way, you;ll have a fab time I'm sure!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

I love Tsavo East - its so wild and you can do loads of different game drives taking in the river circuit, open plains, Mudanda Rock. Myself, I would do Tsavo East and West this time. Amboseli is a long drive whereas Bachuma Gate, the entrance to Tsavo East is only 2 hours or so from Mombasa. You'll still see elephants in Tsavo and from the top of Mudanda Rock see Kilimanjaro in the distance.

Tents (or bedrooms under canvas) are wonderful. You not only get many of the same comforts as a hotel or lodge but you get to lie in bed listening to the sounds of the bush - fantastic!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

Hi

Having done all the parks, looking at what you specified, you would be better doing Tsavo East and West. If you are happy/convince your daughter to stay in a tent, you'll get a view of Kili from Voyager Tented Camp (used to be called Ziwani) - take a look at the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303978-d501970…

You would thoroughly enjoy your stay here, they have everything from game drives (some night drives may be available), nature walks, huge amount of information in one of their info huts, hippos, crocs, dinner under the stars by the hippo pool, what more could you ask for!!! The view of Kili on a clear day is beautiful. Tents in Kenya are not "tents" by our reckoning - they're usually on concrete, have two - three singles or a double bed, shower, toilet basin etc. Have a go, you won't regret it.

For a second night, suggest you try Ngutuni Lodge, Voi Wildlife Lodge, Ashnil Aruba. I've been to all three and they are very good indeed.

If you want both (Tsavo & Amboselli) one leg of your joureny - to Amboselli or From, is going to be quite a jaunt. However, if you take three nights and four days safari, you could have a break overnight on the way.

I'd be interested to know what you decide - if you do decide on Amboselli, the elephants are in abundance, I've seen lions, cheetahs etc and the lodge I'd recommend would be Ol Tukai - fantastic views of both the plains with elephants or Kili.

Hope this helps, Min x

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
675 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

I would have to agree with Tembo if you can get an operator to do a drive which includes Mudanda rock and the river down to Lugard falls that would be great. we were going to do the 3 parks this time but opted for 4 days split tsavo west 2 days and tsavo east 2 days and it was a fabulous safari. I love both parks equally but we were able to do a full day game drive which was fabulous. Get a safari operator who is flexible and you will be able to get the safari you want.

We will probably do 2 nights in Amboselli and 1 in tsavo west next time. What ever parks you choose you will have a great time !!

Dean

p.s. we used Hits safari and will be using again next visit.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

if you have time better make use out of your gate fee

US 50 at Tsavo and 60 Us at amboseli.

1. day Tsavo East

Voi Safari Lodge

Voi Wildlife Lodge (Outside)

Ndololo Camp

Galdessa Camp

Impala Safari Lodge (outside)

2. Day Amboseli

Kibo Camp

Sentrim Camp (outside)

Amboseli Serena Lodge

Ol Turkai Lodge

Amboseli Sopa Lodge (outside)

3. Day Tsavo West

Kilanguni Serena Lodge

Ngulia Safari Camp

Ngulia Bandas

Finch Hattons

Severin Safari Camp

Ziwani Camp Voager

enjoy your holiday

kenya is great

Bradley Stoke...
Level Contributor
156 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

Thanks to all those who have given me information.I think probably Tsavo e & W is better, not such a long way.Now it's just a case of deciding which operator!!

Bradley Stoke...
Level Contributor
156 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

OH I forgot, I presume you see Big Cats too as well as the elephants? And also Giraffe?

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

Alison - I've seen everything except Rhino in Tsavo parks. However, now that they've moved some more rhinos into the parks, you may see them. My friend has just come back and she spotted a wild black rhino (very lucky indeed!!).

Don't forget the smaller creatures too - genet cat, servals, snakes, birds, jackals, mongoose - they're all equally as interesting. I remember once spotting a dung beetle going about his usual daily grind and was riveted!!

Oh dear, I sound a bit sad now....... !

Bradley Stoke...
Level Contributor
156 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari Tsavo E/W+Amboseli

you can keep the snakes!!!! I am a complete snakeaphobic(or whatever they are called!)

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa