We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Maasai Mara?

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
12 posts
Save Topic
Road to Maasai Mara?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has travelled to Maasai Mara recently since all the flooding has been going on in Kenya. I am going there in 10 days with a few friends and we are planning on driving in a hired van from Nairobi to Maasai. Is the road there passable at this point or do you think we will have issues driving there or while in the park due to the rain, etc.?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

Road is passable but allow at least 6 hours to get there. In the park with a van means some areas will be inaccessible and many river crossings will be a no go zone, where are you staying in the park?

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

We are staying at Ashnil Mara Camp in the park

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,570 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

Just got latest feedback from a local TO, possible to do the road trip journey upto the Park entrance.

Sorry, can't comment on state of tracks inside the Park.

California
Level Contributor
532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

I always wonder why people reserve those white vans during and after the rains where several roads inside the parks are impassable. While trying to save money, you waste most of your time getting bogged down in the mud, or not being able to travel to most of the areas.

To make things worse, some of those white van drivers are 'fly-by-night' operators, with no experience in driving in wet/muddy conditions. On my last visit, our 4WD vehicle had to rescue 3 vans from an area that could have been easily avoided had the driver gone around. Our driver was glad to help and tow them out, but it took away valuable game driving time from ALL of us.

Ashnil is deep in the park, and you will certainly come across bad roads, certainly not be able to cross any rivers, and your chances of getting stuck are pretty high. Why don't you pay extra and upgrade to a 4WD vehicle?

Robbie

Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

ashnil mara is right inside the park so if it rains without the proper vehicle you are in trouble.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

rformol - I would be interested in knowing more about your plans.

Are you planning on hiring a van with driver? If planning self-drive you will have real problems. There are no signs in the Mara and satnav is fairly incomplete as to driveable tracks. I personally wouldn't consider this option at all.

If with a driver it may be possible as long as the driver is very experienced and knows the Mara well. The difficulty will be the last 5 or 6 km. Which route is passable? Where to avoid?

A possible option could be to arrange an airstrip pick up by the camp vehicles. By this I mean to arrange a rendezvous at Keekorok airstrip and then let the camp drivers take over - they will know how to get you to your destination safely.

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

I think we do have a 4WD vehicle. I misspoke when I said van. But yeah we are using a hired driver. Not self driving. Thanks!

keniata
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Maasai Mara?

Jambo,

The road to the main gate is fairly good. The last section of about 20 km to the main gate is quite rough but motorable. Once inside the park, the main road is quite good all through the to the 18km mark to Ashnil. The last stretch to the camp get tricky with the rains, but an all terrain vehicle should manage. The smaller tracks used for game drives are the real problem. most of them are quite wet and since it's been raining since January, the Land is saturated with water and still very soggy. Extra care is necessary on these tracks. Grass is quite tall and challenges the game viewing. You don't get to see as much cats as when there is shorter grass.

Karanja

Features Africa Journeys

Reply to: Road to Maasai Mara?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...