We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara In August - What type of hat to take

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Masai Mara In August - What type of hat to take

Hi,

I am travelling to Masai Mara this August and was wondering if anyone out there had advice or experience in the type of hat that is recommended to wear.

I was thinking of a hat that comes with a mosquito net attached as reading the reviews I'm quite worried with all the flies and mosquitoes especially the time of year I am travelling.

So my question is do i take a hat with a net or a normal tilly hat or hat with strings?

Many Thanks in advance.

Dil

4 replies to this topic
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,272 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masai Mara In August - What type of hat to take

You will very much feel the odd one out if you wear a hat with a mosquito net, you'll be the only person wearing one. Mosquitoes aren't a massive problem in the Mara, certainly not during daylight hours.

A Tilly hat is ideal for Kenya, Sadly mine died recently due to too many sessions in the washing machine, and I never filled the lifetime guarantee slip in, so I now a wear a cheap local hat of a similar design. My Tilly hat had a string for adjusting the fit and for wearing under the chin in windy conditions, as does my local version.

Depending on the type of vehicle you may find you don't need a hat at all, for example, if you are in a van or Land Cruiser with a pop up roof. I don't think many safari vehicles in Kenya are completely open top.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masai Mara In August - What type of hat to take

Thanks for your reply Doffcocker... I did think about being the odd one out. Maybe I'll just take a tilly hat. Thanks again.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masai Mara In August - What type of hat to take

I was in the Mara August 2017 for 4 nts and did not see 1 single mosquito, even though we stayed near the river. In fact we didn’t see 1 single mosquito the entire 2 1/2 weeks we were in Kenya. We visited Nairobi, Tsavo East, Samburu, Ol Pejeta, Lake Naivasha and the Mara. We were given Safari hats by our TO but never needed to use them as we travelled in a pop up Land Cruiser. The weather was perfect, not hot, except for Samburu, so maybe that’s why. We did see a lot of people use bandannas around their faces to protect from dust, but we never felt the need to do that either.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,275 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Lake Naivasha
Lake Naivasha
320 Reviews
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
New Jersey
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masai Mara In August - What type of hat to take

I was in the Mara August 2017 for 4 nts and did not see 1 single mosquito, even though we stayed near the river. In fact we didn’t see 1 single mosquito the entire 2 1/2 weeks we were in Kenya. We visited Nairobi, Tsavo East, Samburu, Ol Pejeta, Lake Naivasha and the Mara. We were given Safari hats by our TO but never needed to use them as we travelled in a pop up Land Cruiser. The weather was perfect, not hot, except for Samburu, so maybe that’s why. We did see a lot of people use bandannas around their faces to protect from dust, but we never felt the need to do that either.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,275 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Lake Naivasha
Lake Naivasha
320 Reviews
Rift Valley Province, Kenya