We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

San Mateo...
2 posts
Save Topic
Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

Hi, Has anyone travelled with Odyssey Unlimited Kenya recently? I am concerned about the minivans and extensive ground travel. Any and all comments would be helpful. I plan to travel in November which can be very hot...so you can understand my concern about transportation. Is AC included"? Thanks for your help.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

I can't speak for Odyssey but would caution that aircon in safari vehicles and accommodation (apart from at the coast) is extremely rare here. AC on safari usually consists of opening the windows and hatches and enjoying the fresh air and smells of the bush :-). Wear light clothing and you should be fine.

San Mateo...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

Thank you for the feedback!

Los...
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

Went with Odysssey' Unlimited In August 2010 and was fantastic . Everything from Serena Lodges to Mara Sarova tented camp, guide, drivers, food, and the entire experience was just awesome. However if your concern is with vehicles and a/c you must realize like our Guide Tony said this is not vacation but Safari. You can take vacation when you get home. Vehicles were in Kenya the mini bus with 6 people max and Landrover Tanzania 6 max. Excellent driver/guides but outside of reserves roads are horrible. Cannot use a/c and opening and shutting windows for air flow was sufficient having to close them with approaching vehicles and dust clouds. It's all part of this travel. If this is your concern I hope this helps. Loved every minute of Kenya and Tanzania!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,556 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

I don't know if you are just thinking of safari or an overland trip, but if it is a safari to the Mara you should know that it is at altitude and so not as hot as you might imagine. In fact you may need a light weight fleece or similar for the early morning drive. The Masai Mara is between 4800 and 7000 feet above sea level

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

Since I am considering traveling w/ Odysseys Unlimited on the safari next September, I am disturbed that there are not many reviews on this trip by past travelers. Do you request that trip participants write a review? Do you post all reviews? In fact, there are very few reviews on tripadvisor.com or other sites about Odysseys Unlimited trips in general. That doesn't look good to prospective clients. Please reply.

gmmiller@bellsouth.net

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

I am also considering an Odysseys Unlimited trip to East Africa -- their Classic Safari, which goes to both Kenya and Tanzania. Would like to go in Sept. 2012 with a friend. Since our husbands will not be with us, we do not want to make arrangements ourselves with a local African company. Has anyone taken the OU safari? An alternative might be the Tauck safari. Any opinions and first hand experience with either company regarding their Classic Safaris to Kenya and Tanzania would be much appreciated!

~PackAndGoMama

nyc
Level Contributor
14,665 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

PackandGoMama - I replies on the Tanzania forum comments re both the Odyssey and Tauck tours.

There is absolutely no reason not to consider a private safari, where you design where your visit, how many days, accommodations, driving or flying or combo of both. It's perfectly safe as you'll see from many who do just that - private safaris, rather than a group of strangers with their own personalities and/or interests that might not suit you and your friend.

8. Re: Odyssey Unlimited for Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:49