We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoor Safaris

Woking, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Shoor Safaris

We are looking into booking a Kenya safari in February and have come across Shoor Travel. Has anyone had any experience with this company? Any advice?

Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoor Safaris

Shoor Travel is a long well established and reputable outfitter.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoor Safaris

Shoor travel safari's: My wife and I have just come back from an excellent 4-day safari of the Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru National Park with Shoor Travel safari's. I'm happy to recommend Shoor travel to anyone looking for a first class safari in terms of great service, reasonable price, good quality lodges and most of all outstanding flexibility in delivering a tailor-made approach to suit their customers' needs.

After calling/ emailing perhaps 10 safari companies, Sanjay (one of the directors of Shoor Travel) stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of being able to deliver the specific short safari that I wanted. This included being picked up from the airport upon arrival, being driven straight to the Masai Mara without having to lose a day (or two) waiting in Nairobi for the safari to start, a private safari vehicle for the two of us, driving to Lake Nakuru to see the famous pink flamingos and then promising to drop us back at the airport in time for our flight to Zanzibar 4-days later.

The drive from Nairobi to the Masai Mara took approx 5 hours but it was quite good fun as we discussed Kenya and the passing scenery with our very knowledgeable guide Harrison while bumping along the severely pot-holed roads in one of the typical / standard safari viewing buses. Although not the newest of safari vehicles, we found these specially converted safari buses were amazing at absorbing the punishment of the roads and managed to cross streams + climb inclines that I'm sure would have tripped up most 4-wheel drive pretenders back in the uk. Especially good was the converted roof which popped up to allow 360 degree viewing. With just 2 of you in the vehicle you really have the room to see everything and take some wonderful photos.

We stayed at Siana Springs (see separate review). Tip: I highly recommend agreeing with your safari company to combine a morning + evening safari into a "full day safari" as this allows much more time to spot the wildlife and you can venture much further from your base camp than normal. Our driver Harrison knew a great deal regarding most of the Kenyan flora and fauna, even carrying and providing several books to help explain the details. Most importantly he was enthusiastic about finding the big 5 for us to see and photograph. During all the safari drives, Harrison was listening + discussing the recent game sightings on the UHF radio with other drivers to ensure that we were quickly on the scene of any exciting finds. As a result, we saw many buffalo, rhinos, elephants, lions... and right at the end of the drive he managed to track down a leopard for us to complete the Big 5 set and leave us feeling very lucky indeed!

His skilled driving and knowledge of the masai mara meant that we covered lots of ground quickly and safely. We went as far as the Mara river to see some rare hippos but the highlight was being surrounded by thousands of zebras and wildebeest as they made their way to drink at a watering spot on the telek river. It was incredible to watch as these animals slowly overcame their natural caution and fear, bravely making their way down the ravine slopes for a drink of water, seeing them play in the shallows... and then suddenly stampede away at some unknown threat. Again and again this amazing show unfolded around us and it was simply breath-taking natural drama and beauty.

Other favourite memories include seeing 3 beautifully spottede cheetahs resting in the shade under a small tree, numerous fat warthogs with their short tusks and long ponytails, a family of hyenas lazing around in a shallow mud pool, a big family of elephants crossing the road not far from our vehicle, many meetings with the graceful + curious giraffes, seeing many fascinating different types of antelope and an abundance of birdlife.

Overall, it was a really wonderful short safari in which we managed to see all of the famous Big 5 and much more besides. The safari surpassed my expectations by a mile and this was in no small part due to the professionalism of Shoor Travel, Sanjay and Harrison our guide. There's an element of luck in everything but certainly the safari went without a single hitch for us and I am glad that we took a calculated small risk by going with the less well known Shoor Travel... and especially glad that we didn't spend significantly more money to go with some of the larger and less flexible safari companies. My advice is use a little of the money you save to book the whole vehicle for yourselves and have a luxury private safari!

3. Re: Shoor Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 09:47