We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya visa

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kenya visa

Hi all

I'm booked to travel to Nairobi Kenya on 26/12/17 and wanting to know if I should obtain my Kenya visa before departing or get one on arrival in Kenya

Also would I be denied boarding at Tullamarine airport without a visa in hand I'm flying Qatar airlines and may I encounter any dramas from authorities at Melbourne airport with me wanting to board without a visa in hand

Thank you

Peter

21 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya visa

This question is asked every day on this forum, sometimes twice a day and the answer remains the same: you can get on arrival, it's easier than the e-visa, and no airline will deny you boarding.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya visa

Thanx for your advice

Wasn't sure cause I've been reading that some airlines won't allow you to board without visa in hand which is a bit of a worry

Tried to get evisa but the site wouldn't allow me to verify my account so asked my travel agent about visa application they wanna charge me around $250 ouch

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya visa

It's a good idea to apply ahead of time on-line. Go to http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html

Be careful, as there are a couple of fake sites. You will need to be able to upload a digital copy of your passport information page and a photo. You will also need to provide a few details of your itinerary, such as where you will be staying, with the name of the hotel, phone number, and e-mail address. You must have a credit card. The cost is somewhere around $53 U.S. ($50 for the visa, and the rest is for handling.) You will have to go back to the website in a few days to check if the visa has been approved. Then you can download a copy. I always print out a paper copy of the visa, That way, you will have something to show anyone who asks if you have a valid visa for Kenya. When you arrive at the airport, just go with your passport and copy of your visa to immigration. They will stamp your passport. Getting an on-line visa also saves space in your passport, as the visa you obtain at the airport or other border crossing takes up a whole page, but the stamp is much smaller.

Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya visa

Deborah,

If you read down the forum you'll see this man has had a lot of trouble with the e-visa process. He wants to go with VOA.

Generally, most people on here take the opposite view to yours and recommend VOA. E-visas have caused no end of trouble for a significant number of applicants, and the Kenya forum is turning into a kind of crisis line for people with these problems.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya visa

For 20+ yrs have always purchased Visa on arrival. First one was only$30.

The one time I tried theEVisa I got so confused I iust gave up; and haven't had an issue since purchasing on arrival. Besides you're coming from OZ..... and while you're at it I'd shoot the travel agent with a price she/he asked for. Robbery!

But for Visas you must pay with USD, GBP, Euro or Swiss Franc.... so get a few of those before leaving town.

Then you can use your debit card at ATM for withdrawal of Kenyan Shillings. And remember to advise your bank that holds both your debit and credit cards where you will be traveling.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya visa

peterbax that is daylight robbery!

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, as Philip says most people here recommend the VOA anyway, so go by them, they are the experts and will advise correctly.

For us it just happened that online worked fine, it was easier on arrival, we also had to show the visas when leaving SA. That's just my experience from a month ago.

Enjoy, Kenya is amazing.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya visa

Just buy it online, print it out and keep with your passport, even though they will have it in their computer system at customs check in, it's nice to have your own copy.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya visa

I applied for E Visa on 1st Dec Friday and I got it early morning on 4th Dec :-)

Not bad - impressed with the turn around time.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya visa

It's just easier to apply online and not go through more stress than you already have to going through an unfamiliar airport for the first time. You did the right thing. Have a good trip

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya visa

Well said Markey and thanks for the wishes

Reply to: Kenya visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted