We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luxor or cairo and giza

Brighton, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
luxor or cairo and giza

hello, we are going to egypt in 2 weeks for the first time, we are staying in marsa alam, i have been looking at tours and am just finding it all a bit confusing,

my first question is, we have booked through thomson and i have seen a few people say that you have to book your tours through the people you book with, is this true?

also we only really have enough money to do one day trip, can anyone recommend any day trips? tour companys? we were thinking either luxor, although after reading reviews on the valley of the kings i have been put off by the pushy sellers and all the extra tipping/bribery that appears to go on, or going to cairo/giza etc.

basically i need help :) any tips would be greatly appreciated

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: luxor or cairo and giza

Firstly, pushy salesmen and hassle is in no way exclusive to the VoK, or Luxor, you will get it everywhere in Egypt, including Marsa alam, so you should prepare yourself for that.

Secondly, you can book tours or trips with anybody you like, so don't be fooled by the scaremongering or lies you will be pedalled by the major tour companies to ensure they get your business at very over inflated prices.

Booking trips with a local tour company in MA to visit Luxor and/or Giza can mean that you can get them for a fraction of the prices quoted by Thomson etc. but you MUST haggle hard for everything.

Don't settle for the 1st, 2nd, or even third reduction in price you are quoted as they will almost certainly go even lower.

Good luck.

Cairo
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: luxor or cairo and giza

Hallo Sam B , Luxor for a day tour will be easier , Luxor is nearby Marsa Alam , if you like to visit Cairo , then It should be by plan , That will cost you more money . In my opinion it is good to visit Luxor for a day and the amazing huge temple of Abu Simbel and The Aswan monuments for another day as both are close to Marsa Alam. Do not miss the natural and historical of the starkly beautiful of Wadi Gemal (valley of Camels) national park in Marsa Alam.

3. Re: luxor or cairo and giza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:48
Get answers to your questions about Luxor