We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile Cruise and stay

Ipswich
Level Contributor
523 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Nile Cruise and stay

Looking at taking a Nile Cruise next year from Luxor.

Have thought about staying a second week in Hurghada - how long is the transfer please?

Would I be better off staying in Makadi Bay or El Gouna?

Have been to Sharm el Sheikh and would go back there but thought we might try somewhere different this time.

Is Luxor worth staying in if you've already seen most of the sights? Some people in our party really like to snorkel so would prefer the Red Sea resorts.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile Cruise and stay

Hi there

It's a long time since I travelled to Hurghada from Luxor but I think it was around three and a half to four hours by road (coach) with a comfort stop half way there. I can't answer your question on which resort to stay in, but you might get more responses if you ask the same question in the Hurghada forum - here is the link to that

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g297549-i9198-Hu…

Could I also suggest that you look at the Top Questions about Luxor section at the right hand side of this forum page, where you will find links to some cruise questions such as "Is a Nile Cruise for Me?" and "Opinions about Nile Cruises by TA Members". There's also another one you might like to read regarding star grading, plus there are others on dress code, food and lots more. On the dress code front, you'll find that this differs greatly between the Red Sea resorts and Luxor.

Luxor is a very different destination and not at all like a beach resort. It's a living, breathing, working town with many old quarters, and not like a 'purpose built' resort. I, and many others, love staying in Luxor, but it's not everyone's cup of tea - it really depends what you want from your holiday.

If you click on this link to my photo albums

http://community.webshots.com/user/marlscat

you'll see one called 'Luxor street scenes' which will give you an idea of what some of the streets look like. There are other albums with photos of Luxor that you can view as well.

Another good informative website is www.luxortraveltips.com

Hope that helps for now, and happy planning!!

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile Cruise and stay

we did this in september 2009 and stayed in el guona the journey took about 5 hours in total i didn't find it to bad but many complained about the lack of room in the coach not been to Hugada Myself and what i saw wasn't inspiring seemed that holidays were based around the hotels

el gouna is a manmade resort and is lovely but not very egyptian it is the wealthy egyptians palyground but if you want a second week with no hassel i would reccoment it

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile Cruise and stay

'Is Luxor worth staying in if you've already seen most of the sights? Some people in our party really like to snorkel so would prefer the Red Sea resorts.'

You've really answered your own question.

Whilst doing a cruise you will see some of the sites of Luxor but you will barely scratch the surface. However, if you prefer a beach type holiday and snorkeling then you really do need to go to the Red Sea resorts.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,691 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile Cruise and stay

If you want to snorkel you have to be on the coast. If you want to see the many, many things worth seeing in Luxor you have to spend a few days there at least. I have been there maybe ten times and am still seeing major new sites - eg large temples and groups of tombs I have not yet visited.

walsall
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nile Cruise and stay

Makadi bay is about 40 mins closer than Elgouna from Luxor , have done both and Makadi Bay is quieter than El Gouna but the snorkeling is great didn't have much luck in El Gouna as the beach by the Movenpic is very shallow ,the Grand Makadi has its own reef as have many hotels in makadi bay, However if you like to be able to wander around look in shops/bars/etc El Gouna is the place to go and you can go on snorkeling trips from here.

6. Re: Nile Cruise and stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Luxor