We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor info from visit last week

filey, north yorks
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Luxor info from visit last week

We have just come back from Luxor where we stayed at the Sonesta St george which was on the nile. After reading lots on this website we asked for an even numbered room as the odd ones overlooked the waterworks. We were lucky to get a large bedroom with a sitting room too. The food was fantastic and lots of it, which was good as we are 3 very greedy women. The staff were very friendly, the place spotless. We had 3 free cocktail evenings. One night we went accross the river for an Egyptian night, great fun dancing with the belly dancer!

Before going I emailed a guide that had been mentioned more than once on this site. His name is Mohamed elhamid@yahoo.com. He picked us up from the airport and we told him what we wanted to see and when and he arranged it all. The only thing I had booked beforehand was the flights to Cairo which were £42 each return. The day before the same one was £86 so if you are planning a trip try each day to get a good price. We flew at 8.40 (1 hour flight) and back at 8.00. Mohamed arranged for a lady guide to pick us up for the day and she was lovely as well as so informative. Her name is Soha. We saw the awesome pryamids, sphinx, giza, the musuem and the bazzaar (would miss that bit as its packed and you get pestered so much and its rubbish). The museum was well worth seeing.

Mohamed arranged the balloon trip which is a early start so as to see the sunrise. This was a fantastic experience, the views brilliant. We went 2000 feet up and it was so smooth. After, Mohamed took us onto the valley of the kings etc. All amazing. Another day we had a felluca ride on the nile, very peaceful. We visited Luxor temple, Karnak temple, Nobles tombs. Mohamed told us the stories behind every place we saw, it was so much better as if we had just looked on our own we wouldn't have got the understanding of it all.

We were 3 women and when we stepped out of the hotel we got the locals wanting to take us on a pony and cart trip but we said no thankyou quite firmly and then ignored them. So not too much hassle really. When you enter a shop they say 'just to look, no bother' then proceed to badger you to buy. But we were not easily intimidated! We gave a bit of chat back and they were quite friendly.

When you venture of the main road it is just like a mud track, really dirty. We went to the Irish bar a couple of minutes away from our hotel which was fine.

We had a fantastic holiday, we got so much packed in. I would thoroughly reccommend the experience.

Hope this helps anybody planning a visit, I know this site was invaluable for me.

Tula

England
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor info from visit last week

Glad you had a great time I will be staying at the Sonesta so it was quite encouraging, where was the bellydancer?

N. IRELAND
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor info from visit last week

Mohamid has also organised our balloon trip. Which balloon flight company did he book you with. Did you get picked up at 4.30, how long in air, what size basket, how many fit in etc. Did you get returned straight after to your hotel and roughly at what time.

About the bazaar in Cairo, we were planning to go for couple of hours on one of our evenings- probably not to buy anything or not much, just for look around etc. Although my husband says 'really! 2 hours in that place, thinks he will be tearing his hair out (mind you at home he 'waits' outside if I go into M/S etc) Do you really feel it was bad? Sorry for so many questions,

Agree about this site, been great for me also,

Thanks for any replies

filey, north yorks
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor info from visit last week

The hotel arranges the Egyptian night on a Saturday. You have to pay £21 as they take the price of your evening meal of seeing you aren't there. You sit at low tables for 8 people and have a 3 course meal and the wine is free flowing! A male dancer came on first with a twirling hat and was good, though a bit long. Then the belly dancer danced first on her own then got some of us up. After so much wine we were quite eager! Someone videos it all and takes photos which we bought at the hotel the next morning. The video was £12 and we bought one only as I can copy them. Also a disc of the sights of Egypt came with it so worth buying. I forgot to mention the tipping, we gave roughly 50p-roughly 5EP. This was to various staff and they were most pleased. Their wages are roughly £20 a month!You will have a great time, this hotel was the best there.

filey, north yorks
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor info from visit last week

N-smilernew-

We were picked up at 4.30 by mohamed who took us to the boats that held about 16 in each one. At the other end we had a short journey to the balloon field. I don't know who the balloon company was, just that mohamed knew them well. The balloon held 16 of us in 4 quarters plus a man who videoed us. We were in the air for about an hour. When it ended the rest of the people went back by boat but because we were going onto the valley of the kings mohamed picked us up there. It made more sense to combine the trips.The others would probably have got back about 9.00 I think.You really want to do the sights in the morning as it gets far too hot later on.

tula

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
46 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor info from visit last week

Hi Charjade,

Aint life full of coincidances my wife and I were at the Sonesta at the same time as you. We spoke to you as well, I know you said you were from Filey.

Lovely hotel wasn't it?

Malc.

Adana, Turkey
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor info from visit last week

Tula,

Thanks for taking the time to write your trip report, sounds like a good time had by all. I, of course, am very envious of your Egyptian night with "free flowing" wine. I was hard pressed to find a single glass of wine at times during my trip in Egypt.

Also happy that things went well with Mohamed as your guide. We also found his explanations of the sites added much more than we would have ever gotten on our own.

His correct email is m.elhamid@yahoo.com

And what a very small world to actually meet another TA member at your hotel!

7. Re: Luxor info from visit last week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 10:53