We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something a bit interesting or quirky?

sydney
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Something a bit interesting or quirky?

Ok we're in Luxor for 8 days .

We will be hitting the ground hard with our Luxor passes doing sites & museums for 5 days. Our West Bank hotel has a pool & a Nile view/ terrace to relax & we love just walking around (dodging touts).

Does anyone have any suggestions of experiences/ activities or places to go that might be a bit unusual (hopefully not really touristy) or interesting for us &/ or a 16 year old?

Things we've considered are the obvious felucca ride (anywhere to ride specifically to?) & hiring bikes on the West Bank. Maybe Light & Sound Karnak for 16 year old.

We love to eat - any interesting places recommended for atmosphere or experience?

Any cultural stuff (not just rolled out for the tourist) ?

Anything else of note on the West Bank?

We appreciate any input fromr regulars & lurkers alike.

Thanks

Edited: 15 September 2018, 07:36
10 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

“...we love just walking around (dodging touts”

Really? I guess somebody must.

😋

In that case, you should be staying on the east bank. You’ll find some touts on the west bank but not many.

There are some eating recommendations in the nearby thread “Nice local restaurants at Luxor” but the places mentioned are both on the east bank. On the west bank itself, a lot of people recommend the Africa restaurant but , the nice view and the cold beer aside, I didn’t really care for it.

Edited: 15 September 2018, 10:37
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

I'm not sure about quirky but these are my suggestions.

1. If you like walking (mostly without having to dodge touts) you could contact POW https://www.facebook.com/POWLuxorEgypt/

They walk most Monday mornings (taking a break for summer heat). It is not a tour of any sort, just a group of people who live in Luxor and like to walk. They do set quite a brisk pace at times but they are very welcoming.

2. I believe that the restaurant Sofra does Egyptian cooking lessons.

https:/…

3. You could always learn a bit of arabic as a family. I study with Ahlan but there may be other schools/teachers in Luxor.

https:/…

Hope these are helpful.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

Horse riding might be of interest, Camel riding is slightly more quirky, and I believe both are still available on the West bank.

sydney
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

Ha bbeckett - came out wrong, we love walking, NOT the touts!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've read lots of reviews of local restaurants. Which would be the most atmospheric in authentic local cuisine (but isn't someone's home) ?

My family are very musical - are there any restaurants or venues with live music - whether traditional or modern ?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
280 reviews
5. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

The restaurants that locals use are NOT on trip advisor - they couldn't afford the costs.

I've tried getting several listed after visiting them, but they don't meet TA criteria such as having a web-site.

The chances of music are low unless you like local music. If the Mid-Town cafe has a wedding party on, there will be music - Loud! (Same for funerals)

I don't frequent the Kings Head or Murphy's Bar so not sure about those. But we do walk around (and I mean walk - none of this caleche tour nonsense) and have eaten in more than a few local restaurants

Quirky? Cross the Nile using the local ferry, hire a tuk-tuk and go to the al Farouz, or the Wolf, on the West Bank

Or Try the Aros Al Bahr Seafood place in Medina St - the BLUE lighting adds a certain something.....

All places mentioned have photo albums here https:/…

Edited: 15 September 2018, 15:54
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
6. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

yeti bird

You’re not staying at El Mesala Hotel by any chance. Your description fits it perfectly. Anyway it’s a few years since I was in Luxor but we had a memorable meal at the Nile View. It is right on the Nile just down from El Mesala. If you’re standing in front of El Mesala Hotel turn left and follow the street that runs down along the river. The Nile View is a couple of minutes walk down there. It was such a wonderful night.

Have a look on google maps if you need to.

sydney
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

Thanks eLaRef - I'd already downloaded your restaurant album for future reference. Unfortunately we don't quite have enough time to try them all but we'll give it a go. We'll probably follow our noses a bit with local cuisine.

sydney
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

Yes I-luv-to-travel, its the El Mesala, looks lovely & the communication with them has been most welcoming. We are there for 8 nights. As many days will be spent travelling around the sites of the West Bank I think we will need some nights close to home so we will pop in to see the Nile View. Thank you!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
280 reviews
9. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

Haven't eaten in the el Mesala, we tend to visit the Sunflower just to the left.

As you come off the ferry, you will see a lit park area where the locals now eat. It can depend if there is a festival on as to what is available. The, what I call 'Tourist restaurants' have one possible problem - the arrival of an Asian Tour Group by coach!

I mentioned the al Fayrouz which is 'just round the back' It's an ex-pat place more than tourists, but we tend to have the 'Selection of Finger Dishes' for, now, 75LE - It was 66LE the first time. https:/…

Edited: 15 September 2018, 18:38
sydney
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Something a bit interesting or quirky?

Thanks eLaRef - it would be handy & looks good. On the list!

Reply to: Something a bit interesting or quirky?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luxor