We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
52 reviews
Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

I see so many cruise ships going from Luxor to Aswan all leaving on Monday that basically look the same to me and are roughly the same price. It's so confusing! Can anyone tell me the best (or perhaps comparative advantages/disadvantages) of:

MS Farah Nile

MS Nile Goddess

MS Mayfair Nile

Sonesta Saint George

Movenpick MS Royal Lily

MS Tosca Nile

Movenpick MS Darakham

Many thanks in advance for any insights!

42 replies to this topic
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

The best is not on your list which would be Oberoi Zahra hands down followed by S,S Sudan.

Did the Oberoi Last year and no other boat comes close that's why it's priced high for pure luxury.

Have you looked through here for reviews of the boats you have listed?

https:/…

Turenki, Finland
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

We were on Nile Goddess in November, not really luxurious but adequate enough.

Clean, decent food, though a trifle repetitive, staff were friendly, nowhere near capacity, so the nightlife on the boat was a bit quiet.

It is docked well out of town, we were located at the Viking dock, near the Egyptian Experience village, so quite a bit out of town, Boat leaves to go upriver on the Tuesday afternoon, not the Monday.

Monday, passengers embark and do the Karnak and Luxor temples. Tuesday morning, West bank, start cruising in the afternoon, after lunch.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

We used the Princes Farah last month and I thought it was perfect a number of the guides we talked to said it wax their favorite

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

I believe The Sudan costs around £2000 for a 4 day sailing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CT
Level Contributor
191 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

We have just finished a cruise on the Movenpick Royal Lilly boat. We originally booked the Nile Goddess but got transferred to the royal Lilly instead. It was an amazing experience and we loved every second of it. The staff were amazing and the food was plentiful with a wide variety at meal times. Drinks were very reasonable (25Le for a soft drink) and coffee/tea was free after meals.

I'm not sure if we were just lucky but the boat also docked on the outside of the other boats, so we always had a beautiful view of the Nile - while the other boats had a view of another ships window.

I'd highly recommend the Royal Lilly. You'll have a fantastic time with them.

Clevedon, United...
Level Contributor
644 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

I think most of the cruise boats are pretty good,we have been on 3 and all were much of a muchness and very good.

london
Level Contributor
781 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

docking on the outside of the other boats is just luck

the last boat to arrive is on the outside. Whilst the schedule may try to make them the last to arrive it can't be guaranteed that the others don't run late

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
85 posts
8. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

All of them are nice ships but Nile Goddess.

It is very old ship and doesn't bear the name of Sonesta any more. It was Sonesta Nile Goddess.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
9. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

Are you looking for the best experience or best facilities?

I love authentic and responsible tours so I found ResponsibleTravel.com/holiday/…nile-cruises and Tripsavvy.com/cruising-the-nile-in-egypt-145… useful sites.

I'm not into alcohol/partying/loud stuff and prefer to absorb the Egyptian atmosphere through tranquility, so felucca-ing is my preference. Would love to experience a meditation ceremony in one of the temples but not to the detriment or integrity of the temple structure.

An Egyptologist told me the resonance within these temples could give you an out of body experience with the chanting, etc. Awesome!

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?

Sorry, not answering your question really but I'm hopefully giving you a different perspective.

Reply to: Which Nile Cruise Ship Is Best?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted