We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Abu Simbel from Aswan

Bangalore
Level Contributor
65 posts
98 reviews
Travel to Abu Simbel from Aswan

Hi everyone,

Will be in Egypt in less than 20 days from today. Family of 5 adults, we have devoted our last 2 days to Aswan. Few last minute arrangements to sort out. Please advice:

1. Travelling to Aswan after breakfast from Luxor. Not worth visiting the dam there, so what's the best we can do in half day?

2. Is it possible to get a short felucca ride in the evening?

3. Travel To Abu Simbel - Heard about tour buses leaving in convoys at fixed hours but tis it the same for private taxis?

Thanks for any information I can get to help me finalise there.

Regards,

Edited: 11 September 2018, 20:41
4 replies to this topic
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: Travel to Abu Simbel from Aswan

We just got back from our trip and we found the museum in Aswan to be very nice. It has a/c, things are laid out and organized very nicely and there's lots to see. You shouldn't have a problem finding a felucca ride, there are boats all over.

Our trip to Abu Simbel was delayed due to a sandstorm, we were set to leave at 4 a.m. w/a private guide but had to wait until the police opened up the road. We ended up leaving around noon so I don't know if they have specific times that you can travel by taxi.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
85 posts
2. Re: Travel to Abu Simbel from Aswan

Philae temple, and the Nubian museum are worthy to visit.

Police convoy has been cancelled to Abu Simbel. You can drive to/from Abu Simbel between 4 am to 6 pm.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
65 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Travel to Abu Simbel from Aswan

Thank you Jamie H and Happyegyptravel.

Its my son's bday the day we are in Aswan and I was wondering if I could get dinner aboard a felucca? Is there any such option available?

Also, felucca is better in Aswan or Luxor?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
85 posts
4. Re: Travel to Abu Simbel from Aswan

Yes. It is good idea to celebrate it on a felucca. You can deal with any felucca man and they will arrange you what you want.

Another option, there is a good restaurant, called Anakato, at the Nubian Village of Gharb Sohiel, and also can provide you dinner and birthday cake if you want.

If you don't like sailing or driving to the Nubian Village, there is a restaurant called Al Doka, serves Egyptian and Nubian food, they also can provide you what you want. It is an island opposite the Old Cataract, and also behind the southern tip of the Elephantine island.

Reply to: Travel to Abu Simbel from Aswan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted