We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

Hello All - just planning to do a sightseeing individually in Aswan to visit St Simeon's Monastery from the other side of the Nile.

Do you happen to know an approximate cost on the boat they might ask me to pay? Just want to avoid being overpriced...Ort is it maybe easier (if not cheaper) to have it organized via my hotel where I'll be staying at?

Also, which boats to board to get to the other side? Is there maybe a small port or similar or just hop on the first available boat and they will anyway take me nearer to St Simeons?

Is the distance from the riverside close if walking?

Do you reckon with an approx. 1-2 hours for this little outing if also combining this with Mausoleaum of Aga Khan? Are these sites anyway free to visit?

Would appreciate any help from you!

24 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
11,193 posts
279 reviews
1. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

You could be lazy & just organise a car/taxi?

We did - saves the camel ride, never mind the boat ride and although about 13 miles it will probably take about the same time. See https:/… - The last picture is my usual Google Earth style screenshot showing the route https:/…

Edited: 21 August 2018, 00:07
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

You can take the public ferry from the east bank to the west bank, right in front of the nobles tombs for about 1le.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,331 posts
282 reviews
3. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

\i'm pretty sure I just took the ferry and walked though the sand.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

To the best of my knowledge - I'm open to correction - the Mausoleum of the Aga Khan is closed to the public and has been since 1991.

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
5. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

Thanks guys, great pics, so do you 100% recommend to visit this site? Is it definetely worth it to visit?

Also, are you pretty sure that it is located 13 miles from the town centre?? From the maps it shouldn't be more than 2-2.5 kms...

Also, re. the boat trip, 1LE is too cheap to be true..do you maybe mean the public ferry?

In case taking the private ones, what would be the average price for that?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
124 reviews
6. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

" are you pretty sure that it is located 13 miles from the town centre?."

Yes. As you can see from the linked map, eLaReF took the long way round, by road.

" the boat trip, 1LE is too cheap to be true..do you maybe mean the public ferry?"

The public ferry costs 1LE each way.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
948 posts
223 reviews
7. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

kriz, I think eLaReF is sure! Did you look at the link he provided to show the route by road? He's showing you that you can make the trip by road, which would be longer in mileage, but could be easier logistically and end up taking about the same amount of time as going by boat. (That said, you might find the boat option to be more fun, if you don't mind the extra effort to organize it.)

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

And yes, it is the public ferry, just as Perpetual said in #2 :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

It's a few years since ive done it and prices will have increased but I paid 10le one way for 4 people on a private motorboat. The only reason he agreed to the price was because he found another man who paid 30le for just himself. We took camels to st simeons at the other side, 80le a camel there and back. The man who shared our boat walked but I don't know how long it took.

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
10. Re: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually

Okay, am a bit stubborn and just double checked the normal google maps and by taking the ferry from east bank it much much closer and then approx. hafl kilometres walk to the monastery...come on guys, you want to convince me that taking 20 kms (!) is more hessle free and easier to take with a huge detour by driving around the whole town!

Thanks for the advice, appreciate you try to help me but I think the public ferry will just be perfect for me for this lil outing..

Maybe considering the donkey ride instead :-)

Reply to: Day tour in Aswan - indivuually
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted