We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi fare

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
94 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi fare

Could somebody tell me how much apron. costs taxi from Cairo Airpot to Kempinski hotel at Garden city? Also, I want to know how much costs taxi from Kempinski hotel to Giza Pyramids? Any advice about taxi company or booking the car with driver for a day? Thx

Meknes
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi fare

Sorry that I can't remember the costs, but definitely take one of the white taxis, not the black and white ones. The white taxis usually have air conditioning and always have meters that work!

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
94 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi fare

Thx a lot!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi fare

Taxi should cost about 80LE from the airport but you have to haggle for that as the old black and white taxis don't have meters, they will ask ridiculous prices.

If you can't be bothered with that, there is also a Cairo shuttle which has a kiosk/ booth at the airport in the arrivals area. They charge 85LE for a private car and 100LE for a van - not per person but for the whole group.

You can prebook on line or wait till you get to the airport.

http://www.cairoshuttlebus.com/

Cairo, Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi fare

Nefertiti a (smart new) white metered taxi would cost around 40le to Garden City.

80 le is much too much to pay for an ordinary (very run down , as most of them are) black and white cab from the airport. A fairer fare would be around 50le including the airport card. A year or two ago they would be happy with that price or perhaps 60le pushing it ,for even for the most jet lagged disorientated rich tourist.

Taxi drivers like to continue push up the price for foreigners if it is accepted like that in a couple of years the minimum fare even to Heliopolis would be 200le. An Egyptian would never pay that much. To avoid the taxi mafia at the airport best to get one from arrivals that has just dropped off a passenger.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi fare

Egyptian geeze, tourists do not get those sort of prices from the airport, at least I've never been that lucky:)

Last time I was there in November 2011, all the taxi drivers stuck together on price and I was lucky to get one at 80LE and the others were very peeved with him for accepting and a small fight broke out. Also it is rare to find a white taxi at the airport, there were none there on any of my four trips to the airport in Oct/Nov), there were only the old black and whites available.

BTW my name is Nefertari and welcome to the forum:)

Southampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi fare

Egyptian Grrezer is absolutely right 40LE is more than enough even for a tourist!

Insist the taxi puts on the meter. Competition is fierce at the moment.

There are plenty of white taxis at the airport, they will all clamour to take you.

But they do operate on an agreed rate. My advice would be use the Cairoshuttle, it saves the hassle but insist that any other taxi you use puts on the meter while out and about in Cairo.

7. Re: Taxi fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:12