We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

Does anyone know if construction is proceeding on the new Egyptian Grand Museum? It was scheduled to open sometime in. 2015. Does that possible?

Curious on an update on this project.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

Good question. The antiquities minister says everything is on track..

…ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/44/89749/Heritag…

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

Thanks modesto111.

I had a look on the official Grand Museum website after posting this question, and there are some photos of the progress. You can check them out here:

gem.gov.eg/GEM-Site-2013/…March2013.html

Have you heard anything about what the Egyptian Government plans to do with the current Egyptian Museum of Antiquities.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

No, I haven't. I think there might have been some talk of selling to a hotel chain, but it seems like there's that kind of speculation around every former state-owned building. Somehow I doubt that investors are lining up to secure property on Tahrir, like they may have been a few years ago. Although, the Ritz Carlton, formerly the Hilton, right behind the museum pretty much looks like renovation work has continued and is supposed to open sometime in the not-too-distant future. Of course right next to that still stands the burned-out NDP headquarters...

Interesting pics, thanks.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

Here's this-

salon.com/2013/…

So... two museums then?

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

It would be a shame to loose the old museum building. It has quite a bit of history to it. Hopefully the Antiquities service could fine another use for it.

The Egyptians have enough artifacts to fill several museums. If they could find some sort of draw for what they put in the building that could compete with the Grand Museum it could mean another site that tourist would visit in Cairo.

I guess we will know in time.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

I actually drove past the new museum site a couple of weeks ago and work was proceeding. For what that is worth. I should think cataloging, transferring and displaying those priceless artefacts would take years in itself.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

Thanks for the info gentlemen!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

My God! You must be psychic!

As if on cue, Al Ahram gives us:

…ahram.org.eg/NewsContentMulti/96961/Multime…

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

GParryManchester,

I have never been called psychic only psycho!

Thanks for the link. I liked the photos.

10. Re: Status of Egyptian Grand Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 09:50