We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Two week itinerary

Hi. I am travelling to Cairo in late August and was trying to work out how much it is reasonable to expect to do in about two weeks. I think we'll start with the pyramids at Giza and Cairo in general; but then will it be possible to visit Alexandria, Luxor (and possibly Aswan) via train all within the first week? Happy using overnight trains etc.

If not; do you have any recommendations? Don't go here, go somewhere else, spend longer here etc.?

We'll be heading down to Dahab after the first week; so don't mind being busy and are happy in (or at least will cope with) the heat.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week itinerary

It will be extremely hot in Luxor and Aswan in August (low season as few tourists visit). But a Nile cruise on an air conditioned boat is do-able if you can find any running at all (over 40C there today, I believe). The feluccas are picuresque but I would not recommend them outside the winter. Alexandria's the coolest place on your list and even that gets sweltering in August (close to 30C here today and it gets much hotter in August). In August most of Cairo seems to relocate to Alex and so it gets busy (and expensive).

If you are OK with the heat then you can do everything on your list in 2 weeks, but it will be a rush. Better to take your time and not spend too long outside in the middle of the day. It sounds like you want to tour independently but if you do a tour (or at least some day trips) you'll find it more comfortable. Good luck with planning your trip! ILME

Edited: 13 June 2012, 17:03
2. Re: Two week itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:12