We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I write this with a heavy heart

I write this with a heavy heart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2018, 02:00
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I write this with a heavy heart

Perhaps one positive way you could use your experience and witness of the animal care would be to show the girls with equestrian interests your film footage. From this you could help promote [good] animal welfare in Egypt by putting the girls in touch with the animal charities that are working there and trying to make a difference and maybe supporting them individually or collectively.

These three animal charities have bases in Luxor but there may well be others working in Cairo.

Brooks: http://www.thebrooke.org/our-work/what-we-do

ACE: http://www.ace-egypt.org.uk/

AWOL: http://eoluk.co.uk/awol/index.htm

Yes, for children to see disturbing footage of animal welfare may well be off putting to them. Equally it could stir them on to do all in their power to help alieviate the situation. (You've only got to think of Blue Peter appeals over the years to understand this power!)

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I write this with a heavy heart

Agree BoringFS.... my daughter who has just turned 14 has seen it all and cant wait to grow up lol to go help out in Egypt :)

How about Silo you get your girls to organise a charity equestrian event to raise money and awareness of the animals in Egypt :)

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I write this with a heavy heart

You can donate money to the various animal charities until the cows come home so to speak and it will assist the animals coming into their care, but won't do anything to stop the treatment animals are getting to end up there.

Maybe it does to some extent.

However education and leading by example is needed so it is passed on from one generation to another for preventative care. They know no better as they have grown up with it. Having said that there is always the odd one out who instinctively treat their animals well and thankgoodness that is passed on.

Some cultures do not view anything wrong in the way they treat their animals, this was illustrated in the recent live animal export video where sheep were strung up by one leg on a hook waiting to be slaughtered and the people doing it just didn't see anything wrong with it and were amazed at the distress shown by the people doing the filming. I am not saying this happened in a particular area of Egypt. Yes there is animal cruelty in western societies, but we have laws to control this and they enforced.

Make no mistake sights of distressed and injured animals will keep tourists away from Egypt as will aggressive touts and aggressive sexual harrassment. One can say that bad publicity is keeping the tourists at bay, but is it.

Has Egypt lost it's magic -

maybe not - it's history, temples and its tombs and ancient sites will always be a drawcard, hope it is enough for the people of Egypt's sake.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I write this with a heavy heart

eexpo. I beg to differ. In the few years www.AWOL-Egypt.org has been working, giving all vet services completely FREE to the animals on the West Bank, attitudes have changed with the owners and the animals in AWOL mobile clinic area are in a vastly improved condition. Just look at the archived newsletters for proof. Thankyou.

melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I write this with a heavy heart

jayway, thank you for the website info. Yes it certainly looks like lots of good work is being done through this organisation, it is uplifting to see that in that area at least animals are being treated well.

6. Re: I write this with a heavy heart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:50