We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Scotland
10 posts
Save Topic
Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Hi all,

This is what I call a forum.

I'm planning a much deserved holiday (the first in 7 years).

Can anyone recommend a good UK travel agent/website for holidays in Egypt?

Cheers

Gino

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Private Guided Tour to Valley of the...
5 Reviews
US$ 30 per adult
Free Cancellation
Private Tour: Luxor West Bank Valley...
US$ 90 per adult
Free Cancellation
Private Tour: Luxor West Bank, Valley...
120 Reviews
US$ 69 per adult
Free Cancellation
merseyside
Level Contributor
7,978 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Hi Gino, can you give more information of what you want to see? where you want to go? do you want a cruise? Two centre? beach? city?

This info will help so you get the right information.

Karen

Scotland
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Hi Karen,

Thanx for replying. Mandatory visits are the Pyramids, The Valley of the Kings, Cairo Museum. Anything I can fit between those, would be awesome.

The idea of a cruise is not so bad, but this may be a problem, as I would like to spend as much time as I want, on the sites I want to visit (I've been on some holidays before where you spend 30 minutes on a great place, then it's over).

I'm open to suggestions, as I don't know anyone who have been there. This is a surprise holiday for me and the wife, so I don't want to just book a holiday through any website, and find out later I didn't get what was on the tin.

Mentioned in this post
Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings
4,817 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Scotland
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

I forgot,

I'm not looking for a beach holiday (we've got many great beaches back in South America). We would like to see the ancient sites and museums.

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Hi Gino - a Nile cruise is a great way of seeing many sights. The cruise is from Luxor to Aswan and back and is fab. We spent a week on the boat including staying on the boat overnight in Luxor which is an open air museum. The balloon trip here is amazing - watching the sunrise over the Nile is breathtaking. You could also then spend a couple of days in Cairo to see the Pyramids etc. Some compznies offer the cruise and then a week to relax in resorts such as Hurghada or El Gouna or offer an extra week in Luxor. The flight from Luxot to Cairo is only 50 mins and you can get cheap flights with Egyptair - the earlier you book the cheaper the prices - pick Egypt as the country as you enter the site. You could then book your overnight hotel and guide yourself as well.

We used Nilecruise4u and they are quite reasonably priced.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
El Gouna
El Gouna
Hurghada, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
merseyside
Level Contributor
7,978 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

I will tell you what I have done to give you an idea.

In feb 2006 I went to Sharm for 1 week. I flew to Cairo via a travel agency. Loved Cairo hated the fact that there were lots of us in the group!

Sharm is a purpose built resort which is good for beaches, diving and is quite lively when out and about in the main town area.

Then later in 2006 I went to Luxor and fell in love with the place. So much to see...the valleys, medinat habu, luxor temple, karnak temple, queen hatshepsut's temple and so much more. I have since been 3 times and still want to go back!

Last year I flew with egyptair for £35 return to Cairo from Luxor and did a private tour which in my opinion was just fantastic. I also flew to Abu Simbel to see the two temples of Ramses II. A long dream of mine.

Luxor is the real egypt with the souk, the Nile, the people etc.

I haven't done a cruise yet as not really oversure if it is for me.

So you can see that there is diversity there but just depends what you really want.

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Abu Simbel
Abu Simbel
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Scotland
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Thanks Karen and "Nana26". Great stuff!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Your welcome

Nottingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Hi Gino777,

Myself and hubby booked a 14 night holiday in Egypt last October and had a simply fantastic time. I booked a 7 day Nile Cruise followed by 7 days on the Red Sea. Booked those with Orbital Travel who are experts in Egypt and Cyprus holoidays. We were fully inclusive both weeks so spent nothing on food and drink for the whole 14 days. Make sure you take plenty of water for the excursions and get the water off the boat the previous evening.

Early starts but then afternoon free to sunbathe or just take in the sights off the boat. there are extra excursions, we did the hot air balloon ride which was fab!! Also the trip to Abu Simbal, although we couldn't face two really early starts, was really well reported on by the people on the boat who went. Well worth to do both trips if you don't mind 2 really early starts but watch the prices the reps charge as if you do a smaller cruise you can probably get cheaper if you book yourself when you get to Luxor. Any thoughts on going to Cairo?

nerys1

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,110 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

Voyages Jules Verne are fine and not particularly expensive.

For something a little more interesting, Ancient World Tours or The Traveller (formerly British Museum Traveller) are excellent.

Discover Egypt are useful if other package holidays are unavailable.

There are some good adventure firms too, where you sleep in tents in the desert. Afriend of mine did this and I can find the name if you send me a private message via this forum.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
10. Re: Planning Egypt holiday (from UK)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2008, 19:13