We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel during Ramadan

Boston...
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Travel during Ramadan

We're considering a trip to Egypt in September for my husband's 50th (starting in Cairo, following by a boat trip down the Nile). But we just discovered the dates coincide with Ramadan -- September 1-30, I believe. My question is should we avoid Egypt during Ramadan or will this not really impact a vacation? We're concerned about restaurants, cafes, museums, anything that might be closed during this time period. We've never traveled to this part of the world so I'd appreciate any insights! thanks.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Travel during Ramadan

You'll probably find that you are more inconvenienced in Cairo during this period than elsewhere like Luxor or Aswan.

Monuments will close a bit earlier than normal - and in Cairo you may find that more of the local restaurants will be closed during the day - and open up to serve big buffets at sunset. Traffic will also be disrupted as people race to get home in time to break their fast. Hotels and hotel restaurants will continue to function as normal - so you won't be missing out in this respect.

On your cruise - you will find that it will be life as normal - you will have very little disruption here.

Waiters in hotels and restaurants may be a bit dis-spirited until their fast is broken and they can have their first cigarette and meal of the day.

Try typing Ramadan into the search box - there were big discussions on this subject from last years Ramadan travellers - so you will find more answers there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Travel during Ramadan

Thanks, I guess more research is definitely in order. One followup q for you: Would you say that restaurants, cafes, bars are open in the evenings in Cairo during Ramadan? We thought maybe some of them simply stay shuttered for the entire religious holiday. Appreciate your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Travel during Ramadan

Thanks, I guess more research is definitely in order. One followup q for you: Would you say that restaurants, cafes, bars are open in the evenings in Cairo during Ramadan? We thought maybe some of them simply stay shuttered for the entire month. Appreciate your help.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Travel during Ramadan

In the evening restaurants and cafes will definitely be open - not quite so sure about bars though! I know the alcohol shops shut up for a month, and I would presume that bars do too as it is actually illegal to sell alcohol to an Egyptian during the month of Ramadan.

It isn't illegal for tourists to buy alcohol - just in case I got you worried!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
5. Re: Travel during Ramadan

Hi we have visited Luxor during Ramadan and this has not effected us at all. We have always had a great time and Im sure you will too.

perth wa
Level Contributor
112 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: Travel during Ramadan

we spent our entire holiday in egypt and morocco during ramadan last year and still enjoyed both countries. our guide in both places knew which restaurants were open for lunch or early dinners so that was not a problem. the only thing we found was that some of the shops opened later, still before lunch. as we seemed to be doing walking tours and things in the mornings this was a good thing as there was less hassle but still enough open to buy any bits you wanted.

we haven't visited either place when it's not ramadan to do a comparison, but as we had a lovelly holiday i would say it made no difference at all.

hope you enjoy it too

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,423 posts
279 reviews
7. Re: Travel during Ramadan

Timetables vary a bit, and it is more difficult to find restaurants serving alcohol. Apart from that, you won't notice.

UK
Level Contributor
495 posts
8. Re: Travel during Ramadan

I would say Ramadan is an interesting time to go to a muslim country if you are interested in the culture. It is a very special time and a nice atmosphere in the evening when the families etc come out after they have broken their fast.

giza
Level Contributor
181 posts
9. Re: Travel during Ramadan

hii

i am tourist guid and i can tell u that u can ehjoy ur time and ur trip here during ramadan.monuments close early but we accustumed to deal with this situation.and we have many tourists arrive in this period without complain

dnt worry about it

nt:all touristic restaurants open all over the day

10. Re: Travel during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 05:46