We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeju & Seoul

singapore
14 posts
Save Topic
Jeju & Seoul

My friends and I have planned a Jeju trip (3D2N) from 27Dec to 29Dec and are excited about it. We are going to rent a car hence it will be much more flexible to travel around. As this is our first time, are there any tips for driving in Jeju?

We have a few places on mind but we are not sure if its worth going. Any advises or/and recommendations of other places? Are there any night scenery/night activities going on in Jeju?

Seongeub Folk Village

Manjanggul Cave

Sunrise Peak/Seongsan Lchulbong

Miniature Theme Park

Hallim Park

Cheonjeyeon Waterfall

Teddy Bear Museum

Oedolge Park

What about the food? I heard there are alot of restaurants that sell things that are so much expensive in Jeju.

We are going to spend New Year in Seoul. Any places to recommend to experience the celebration?

Thanks!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Hi

Instead of car hire, i would suggest you join the trolley bus or hire the taxi, save the hassle to find direction between tourist spot..

For trolley bus : www.tbus.co.kr

Jeju has 2 miniature theme parks and both are different location.

The waterfall & teddy bear museum located in Seogwipo area. Both within walking distance.

IMO, Oedolgae park is not worth it...same as Dragon Head Rock, i would suggest go to Daepo Haean Jusang Jeolllidae in Jungmun area.

Yes, food is a bit higher compare to Seoul due to Jeju is a resort.. but there are plenty convenience stores and local restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seogwipo
Seogwipo
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Singapore
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Silencezz

I'm also going on that date to Seoul. Have not planned out anything but will driving be easy around the island? How are u going? I am travelling on Korean air arriving on 27th morning. 2 families are going and am still planning what to do, where to stay, where to go. We only booked air tix. What abt you? can share more on your itinerary? We are planning to visit Jeju, Mt Sorak, Yongpiong, DMZ.

Thks!

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Hi Reclat,

Thanks for your advice on Jeju.

Do you have any suggestions for new year countdown? Perhaps fireworks? Thanks!

singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Hi GLHC,

We are taking subways in Seoul as Seoul has very extensive subways. I am travelling by SIA and Jejuair. We are staying in cheap guesthouses. Actually for Seoul itinerary, we are not very sure, because we would like to visit so many places! But of cause, we only have limited time. Maybe reclat can help us by giving suggestions too?

1. Everland (this will take up 1 full day)

2. 1 palace visit - Gyeongbokgung or Changgyeonggung Palace (my korean teach recommended me Changgyeonggung, she says its more beautiful)

3. Some shopping/street food - Dongdaemun, Namdaemun, Myeongdong, Cheonggyecheon, and the university areas for youth

4. Temple vist - Jogyesa Temple (so far thats the only temple I found that is in Seoul)

5. Banpo bridge (reclat actually helped me alot at another post. thanks! http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294197-i8161-k3147205-l22056834-Banpo_Bridge_Nearby_Attractions-Seoul.html)

6. Skiing

7. Jeju

8. Taebaeksan Snow Festival (still checking out. I think its not available during my trip)

I think thats about all. We still couldn't make up our mind what to choose, so subject to changes. :)

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Everland
Everland
1,571 Reviews
Yongin, South Korea
Changgyeonggung Palace
Changgyeonggung Palace
605 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Hotel Dongdaemun
Hotel Dongdaemun
48 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Guest House Myeongdong
Guest House Myeongdong
73 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Jogyesa Temple
Jogyesa Temple
815 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Hi Silenze,

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Yes, Jeju also have fireworks display during New Year's Eve - New Year's Day. The location (if it's not change yet) should be in Sunrise Peak (Seongsan Ilchulbong) that adjoins Seongsan Beach. There will be some festival as well from overnight until dawn like the concert or Jeju traditional percussion perfomance called Pungmulnori.

For palaces, i would suggest Gyeongbokgung & Changdeokgung not Changyeonggung. Changdeokgung Palace has secret garden called Biwon, one of UNESCO World heritage site. Visiting to this palace is only by guided tour, and the palace close on Mondays. For more info : www.cdg.go.kr

If you're not really into UNESCO, you may visit Gyeongbokgung Palace, close on Tuesday, the palace have royal guard changing ceremony and you may have photo oppurtunity while wearing traditional customes for free, just go to the pavilion. For more info :

www.royalpalace.go.kr

Other than Jogyesa Temple, you may also consider :

- Naksan Myogaksa Temple : www.myogaksa.net

- Hwagyesa Temple : www.hwagyesa.or

- Bonguensa Temple : www.bonguensa.org

From the list, the closer one would be Bongeunsa Temple, near COEX mall and if you make a reservation by phone (+82-2-3218-4895), you'll be provided with a guided tour of the temple at anytime between 10am-5pm.

You can visit Yangji Pine Resort close to Everland.. Everland is a day trip but if you only have short time, you may go to Lotte World. Lotte World is indoor theme park and open till late at night. IMO, i prefer Lotte World. No doubt why most K-drama will use Lotte World rather than Everland, with location close to the city and you can shop as well :) Don't miss the Folk Museum, the museum close earlier.

For more info :

www.lotteworld.com

How many days are you staying in Seoul ?

Mentioned in this post
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seongsan Ilchulbong
Seongsan Ilchulbong
1,685 Reviews
Jeju Island, South Korea
Changdeokgung Palace
Changdeokgung Palace
4,052 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Gyeongbokgung Palace
Gyeongbokgung Palace
8,971 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Jogyesa Temple
Jogyesa Temple
815 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Naksan Park
Naksan Park
227 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Bongeunsa Temple
Bongeunsa Temple
1,129 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Yangji Pine Resort
Yangji Pine Resort
39 Reviews
Yongin, South Korea
Everland
Everland
1,571 Reviews
Yongin, South Korea
Lotte World
Lotte World
2,622 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Singapore
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Silence,

Looks like u really have a jun shi reclat to help in your planning.

I'm travelling w another family and we have young children. Thus, not very sure if we want to DIY everything.

We're thinking of Jeju, Mt Sorak, Yongpyong for skiing and the new water themepark, Everland/Lotte world and attractions in Seoul.

Will DIY be more economical than booking a group package tour from our local agency? A 8 days package will cost around $2000 but covers almost everything. I actually prefer DIY if the costing is not too different cos very siong to wake up so early and sleep late for children if follow group tour. Also no flexibility to stay longer at places we like.

Can reclat or you share how much does it cost to do Jeju with domestic flight, accommodation and tpt around Jeju? Do we get around Jeju with the trolley bus to visit the places of interest?

Thks for sharing!

Mentioned in this post
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Everland
Everland
1,571 Reviews
Yongin, South Korea
Lotte World
Lotte World
2,622 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Hi Reclat,

You definitely worth the compliments! :)

27-29Dec in Jeju.

30-04Jan in Seoul, with skiing in Yongpyong slot in between.

So actually I will be celebrating NY in Seoul instead of Jeju. I heard there will be countdown at Jonggak, will there be fireworks?

I may get the wrong name. I think I will choose to visit Changdeokgung, and if got time, Gyeongbokgung since our accomodations are very near both.

I will look through all your suggestions slowly.

Today, news stated a spread of H1N1 in korea. Just want to know how the situation over there. Hopefully tour will not be cancelled! I'm very looking forward to the trip!

Mentioned in this post
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Hi GHLC,

We actually choose the DIY over tour packages. We actually do not like those itinerary planned in packages (such as Kimchi making =X, and they will bring you to buy lots of unnecessary things that doesn't interest us). However, following tour definitely save all the trouble such as accomodations and finding your directions.

For my case, I travel by the budget airline Jejuair to Jeju. It cost around S$180 (depending on the exchange rate). There are tour buses available (www.yehatour.com/service/main.php?lang=eng). This is the one we intending to choose.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeju & Seoul

Hi there..

GLHC, IMO i would skip the tour package, not only you will save money, your "little follower" will appreciate you with extra sleep :) Don't worry about the directions, Seoul have good transport mode with all signs marked in English..

I would recommend trolley bus for max. 3 person travelling together. With more than 3, hiring the taxi for whole day is the best option. How many people in your group (incl. children) ?

As advised by Silenze, other members also recommend yeha tour. But you can book your ticket by online. Asiana Airlines & Korean Air also have special domestic flight depend on which day & flight time.

There are plenty accommodation in Jeju to suit any budget, but i would recommend accommodation in Seogwipo area. This area although relatively small but provides the most scenic beauty, facilites and range of activities.

Silenze, how much you pay in won ? Do you pay more than 130,000won for return ? Korean Air also have special up to 10% off from normal price 73,400won (one way). I've just clicked your Yeha Tour, it looks the same with trolley bus. Check it out : www.tbus.co.kr

With the H1N1 virus spreading around the globe, the best thing to do is getting the vaccine to prevent it. I'm not sure it is available in your country or not, but i just got mine few weeks ago and it's free. Check with your doctor..

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seogwipo
Seogwipo
Jeju Island, South Korea
singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeju & Seoul

73,400KRW is before airport taxes etc.

I actually pay below that. But of course, Jejuair is a budget airline compared to Korea Air/Asiana.

Mentioned in this post