We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

14 posts
Save Topic
Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

Hi, Im planning a winter trip to korea in January. Are boots really necessary? I wish I could just slip on any sport shoes. Ive looked up boots online and ive got confused. What type of boots should I wear? Ski or just winter boots? Rubber or polythene sole? Is wool necessary? I need a comfortable boots for long hours of walking. Any suggestion?

11 replies to this topic
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

You need boots with ankle support and with cleated sole to provide best grip on ice. You say long hours of walking: where will that be?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
281 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

Is this your trip to a cold place? If most of your time is spend city than a good pair of shoes made from leather and a good pair of socks (some % of wool) will be good enough. A good example is Timberland boots. You may also look at hiking boots that is well insulated example Columbia omni heat shoes. Both you can wear for long hours outdoor or in city. Another good look is Keen brand shoes with logo stating how cold it can take. I have both the Keen shoes and Timeberland boots, and used them extensively in winter. Even did 4hrs snow hiking in my timberland. As for Columbia i am using their omni heat gloves and its proven

Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

I recommend boots with soles that have grips so you dont slip! It has snowed and rained in Seoul already and its barley the end of November! You could also bring a pair of sneakers for your comfort (I too prefer sneakers) when it isn't snowing and raining.

14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

Thanks. Im going to travel from a landmark to another landmark on foot (and subways ofc) . From daytime to nighttime so I really prioritise comfortness.Never have a pair of boots before since im living in a warmer country.Do you think boots usually comfortable or depends on the sole?

14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

Thank you for your replies! It helps a lot! <333 Its going to be a touristy trip at korea. Im no up to the point of hiking. I bet it's going to be really cold and unbearable since im from a warmer region(I wish I could do it ,in the future, i guess) Never experience snow before and looking forward into it:) Thanks guys.

14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

By the way, if there is ,by any chance ,koreans here. Do snowfall usually last until month of january?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

I am going to Korea and bought kodiak leather boot that is insulated for winter activities and water proof. i would look for a shoe with 200g of insulation to keep feet warm. Wear a boot comfy for lots of day wear and a regular cute ankle if you wanna go out somewhere nice.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

End of January is deep winter, so yes, there will be some snow. It actually snowed several times last week, but nothing stuck. No one can guess how much or how often it will come this year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

Hi, may I ask if it had started snowing, it would continue throughout the season. Cos I will be there mid December too. Thanks in advance for your advice

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed

Obviously my experience is different to others. Keeping feet warm is fine but not the primary reason for proper boots. If it snows,paths are often very icy and do not get cleared immediately. You then have the danger of falling, which is why cleated soles are needed to give the best grip. Having warm feet and a broken collar bone does not suit me!

You also have the danger of sliding and damaging your ankle, which is why ankle support is a good idea.

Boots need not be expensive but for people unused to ice I think they are important.

Reply to: Right boots for korea winter trip. Suggestions needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted