We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food hunting

Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
food hunting

Dear TA members, please recommend some good cafes/restaurants with fantastic food nearby (within short walking distances) to these attractions?

Many thanks!!

1. Lotte City Myeongdong Hotel

2. M Plaza Myeongdong

3. Bukchon Hanok Village

4. Inside Lotte World

5. Inside Lotte World Mall

6. Seoul Children Grand Park

7. War memorial of Korea

8. National Museum of Korea

Thanks and regards,

17 replies to this topic
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food hunting

There are a lot of restaurants in the Myeongdong area, but they are oriented towards tourists. Please check the Trip Advisor Reviews othe popular places. There is nothing "local" about Myeongdong.

Near the Hanok Village is Samcheon-dong, which is popular with locals for weekend date courses and also tourists alike. There is also a VERY famous samgyetang restaurant there. Just Google it and you wil lfind it. I don't know the name.

Lotte World Mall has TONS of resturants and cafes. When you're there, just see what you like, what looks popular.

The War Memorial and National Museum are kind of in isolated areas, meaning that directly around them are not like a ton of restaurant choices. Just tons of tiny mom and pop restaurants that I myself have not actually been to.

Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food hunting

Thanks Michael,

Are you referring to Tosokchon Ginseng chicken near Gyeongbokgung Palace? Yes, I have slotted that in already.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food hunting

There is Gogung Bibimbap at Myeongdong (near exit 8). There is also a very nice Korean fried chicken near Pacific Hotel, go to left side of road (toegye-ro 20gil) walk in about 50mtrs or more (you can see a lot of food along the way), the fried chicken is very good.

There is the famous Yeongyang Centre fried chicken along Myeongdond 2gil (near intersection of this road and Myeongdong 8na gil). If you can find this shop, just opp side there is a small family run restaurant , all the food there are good, so is the kimbap

Another must go must eat is the Noryangjin fish market, Alaska crab is half the price you pay in spore. You have live abalone at very low price too.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food hunting

I presume that's it. I've never been. But it's really famous.

Nearby Myeongdong, instead of eating there, I'd recommend you walk over to the Jongno Alley of Youth. The Alley of Youth itself is a small street of stalls, but perpendicular to it are MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANY Korean restaurants, bars and karaoke. It is a largely local area (just a few tourists soaking in the scene), but they happen to have a lot of English/Chinese menus and these are legitimate priced places. Not tourist traps. The street also feels VERY Korean with all of the neon, lights, signs etc.

Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food hunting

Is that two two chicken near pacific hotel?

unfortunately we are not going Noryangjin fish market :-(

Jongno Alley of Youth sounds interesting. Will try to slot that in.

Thanks a ton!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food hunting

no the one near pacific hotel is not the famous chain store but taste is very good.

So sad that Noryangjin is not on your radar, to me its better than Busan's Jagalchi Fish market

Gwangjang Market (near Jongno 5 ga stn, also has a lot of good and local food.

Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food hunting

I'm going with a young preschooler so schedule is abit tight with themeparks, parks and museums.

Day1

Touch down seoul

Lunch at Myeongdong Gyoja

M plaza for Hanbok  costume experience

Shopping at Myeongdong

Shopping at Namdaemun Market

Eat dinner at Namdaemun Market?

Day 2:

Gyeongbokgung Palace

lunch at Tosokchon Ginseng chicken

Bukchon Hanok Village and Bukchon Cultural Centre

Dinner at Myeongdong Wangbijib

Day 3

Lotte World & Lotte World Folk Museum

Lunch & dinner at lotte world complex?

Day 4

TeamLab World Seoul

Shopping at Jamsil Underground Shopping Mall and Lotte World Mall shopping

Lunch at lotte world complex?

Dinner back at Myeongdong?

Day 5

Kidzania

Lunch inside kidzania

Dinner at Myeongdong?

Day 6

Seoul Children Grand Park & Seoul Children Museum

Lunch inside cafe of Museum

Dinner?

Day 7

War Memorial of Korea

Lunch at Tama Pasta ~20 Itaewon-ro.

National Museum of Korea and Children Museum

Dinner?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food hunting

Personal Opinion: Two Two Chicken is gross. It's very thin, not meaty or juicy.

Instead, try ANY of the other chains haha. BHC near the Jongno Alley of Youth is good as they have a really good flavor called Matcho King or Ma Cho King. Honey, soy, spicy mix. They also have other good flavors.

I also like BBQ Chicken. Good quality original fried.

Chains are not disgusting here like they are in Amerca. You can generally get consistent quality, great tasting stuff across Korea at most chains. Some of the cheap kimbap chains like Sinpo Woori Mandu are GROSS though.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food hunting

It would be easier to eat dinner at Myeongdong area. But, one of the days at Seoul, I recommend you to visit Jongak station (Line no.1).

When you get off at Exit 04 of Jongak station and walk toward to Cheonggyechon stream, you will meet lots of local restaurants. There are many options for choosing BBQ, Chicken and etc from franchise to a local restaurant. From Myeongdong, you can go there by subway or bus. About bus, you need to take line no.201, 262, 143.

I can also guide and introduce local food restaurants in that area. if you interested, reply me :)

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: food hunting

H i

if you can tell me any local famous restaurants or shops( famous among locals and teenagers with not that expensive prices) please. I will be in Seoul for 7days and i want to try all of the local food while im there.

Thanks

Reply to: food hunting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted