We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

California City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

Currently I have this locked in.

Nov 6th - Land in Seoul. Stay in Hongdae for 3n

Nov 9th - Travel to Busan. Staying for 3n

Nov 10th > 18th Nothing locked in yet

Nov 18th/ 19th - Arrive back in Seoul for remainder of stay

Nov 22nd - Fly home from Seoul

This is currently all I have locked in so the rest of the trip is open. I'm thinking I'll come back to Seoul for the last 3 or 4 nights before flying home.

After Busan I was thinking of making my way North to Gyeongju for 2 nights, then possibly head more North for some hiking in Seoraksan. Anywhere interesting to stay along the way? Where would be a good base for this?

Any other suggestions for places to go before making my way back to Seoul?

I am Australian, non-Korean speaking. I've done a lot of planned solo travel but this is a pretty relaxed and hopefully stress free trip (Super late notice) I want to relax, drink good coffee, eat good food, explore and take photos.

Any input/ ideas are welcome!

9 replies to this topic
Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea, Seoul
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
44 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

For the week you don't know:

The coast of Korea near Busan. It's not the easiest to get around without a car though, so plan carefully.

For instance, Yeosu is a great coastal city known as having something of the best food in Korea for dirt cheap. Example: Soy Sauce Crab in Seoul is 40,000W a person but in Yeosu it's 10,000.

Also try Gyeongju near Busan for some history and countryside. Andong for folk village.

Jeju is another option but requires a good investment of time and planning since everything is spread out.

, you can also go to japan for that week from Busan too, it's really cloes.

California City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

I'm thinking of going to Gyeongju from Busan. What would be the easiest way to do this?

I also am pretty keen to go to Sokcho for some hiking, think it'd be best to head back to Seoul then Sokcho from there? Or possibly go to Sokcho from Gyeongju?

I think I'm going to give Jeju a miss because this is late notice. But do you think it'd be worth going to 3 nights possibly without renting a car? Or am I better off spending that time on the main island?

Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea, Seoul
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
44 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

IMO 3 nights is a long time without a car and if you're alone. You really need a taxi driver or bus tour or something...can't rely on the main public buses because of the wait in between for the next one (and long distances across the island).

Absolutely go to Sokcho from Seoul.

Busan to Gyeongju (or vice versa) is an easy bus. There is KTX but the train is inconvenient as it's far outside of Gyeongju and Busan is really close by.

California City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

Yeah I think I'll skip Jeju this time. Does this make sense then.

Seoul 3n

Busan 3n

Gyeongju 2n

Seoul 3n

Sokcho 3n (too many nights?)

Seoul 2n

Fly home

I was going to spend 7-8 nights in Seoul anyway, I don't mind splitting it up like this. What do you think? Anywhere else I should stop on the way to anywhere?

JHL
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
953 posts
537 reviews
315 helpful votes
5. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

When you climb up Seoraksan Mountain, do you wish to hike tourist route or real mountain climbing which is quite tough?

The true mountain climbing requires at least one night stay in a shelter and you need to book ASAP.

www.knps.or.kr/portal/main/contents.do…

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,583 posts
35 reviews
44 helpful votes
6. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

I just did Gyeongju from Busan last week. Only went on a day trip as I only had 3 days in Busan. Took the Mugunghwa train from Busan (Bujeon) to visit Bulguksa temple. Then bus to Gyeongju to see the tombs. KTX back to Busan. If I had more time I would stay a night in Gyeongju as there is a lot to see.

With your plan I would just stay in Seoul at the beginning and end of your trip, not going back and forth 3 times. I would look into Gangneung along with Sokcho. Would love to visit that area next time, looks beautiful.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
557 reviews
220 helpful votes
7. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

If you enjoy hiking we stayed in Danyang for 3 days this year and there are 3 national parks nearby. The town is on the river and there is a nice market selling delicious food. You mus visit the Guinsa Temple Complex while you are there.

…visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp…

Our time in Danyang was the highlight of our trip

…visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp…

We also stayed 3 days in Sokcho, visiting and hiking in Seoraksan Park. Wonderful time and many trails. 30 mins by local bus from Sokcho. Sokcho is famous for fresh seafood and you will find restaurants all over the town and coastal region.

California City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

I will just do the tourist hike, as much as I'd love to do a proper overnight hike, I don't have the time to organise it. But I would like to stay overnight somewhere in the area so I can see a sunset/ sunrise. Where would you recommend basing myself for this?

JHL
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
953 posts
537 reviews
315 helpful votes
9. Re: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary

Speaking of Seoraksan,

it's hard to see sunset/sunrise on the mountain when you're having a tourist hike because it's risky when darkness is near. 6PM is enough to see nothing around you. By the way, you'll see sun coming up under the mountain if you take the first bus to the mountain.

To see the sunset or sunrise ON the mountain, stay in a lodge in Osaek-ri(mineral spring area). There's a bus from Sokcho.

If you wish to have some other fun too, stay in central Sokcho as most others do. You take a bus to Sogongwon which is the biggest entrance of the mountain. You can take a cable car or a day hike from there.

Osaek Bus Terminal: https://goo.gl/maps/gSro6FsfELv

Sokcho Intercity Bus Terminal(central area): https://goo.gl/maps/7rD2vABMcyG2

Reply to: Looking for advice on 16 day South Korea itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted