We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gyeongju or Daegu?

7 posts
Gyeongju or Daegu?

Hello Tripadvisors,

I am solo traveler who will visit Korea first time in September for 6N5D.

I will arrive to Busan Apt and departure from Seoul.

Beside those cities, also hoping to see Gyeongju and Daegu but looks my vacation not long enough for both..

How would you spread out nights and days if you were walking in my shoes?

Arri ( 24 Sep Busan Apt 16:00 P.M)

Dep (30 Sep Seoul Apt 11:00 A.M)

* Not interested with food markets.

* Only must see temple (before come i will be in japan for two weeks and might be templed out)

Thanks a lot

6 replies to this topic
Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea, Seoul
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Gyeongju or Daegu?

I would NEVER go to Daegu as a tourist honestly. Never ever. To be honest, five days is short - spend 2 nights in Busan and the rest in Seoul.

California
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
335 reviews
2. Re: Gyeongju or Daegu?

I would skip even Busan. Seoul is Tokyo and Kyoto rolled into one.

What is your departure point in Japan? Probably easy to get to Seoul directly by air, perhaps to more convenient Gimpo airport.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
388 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Gyeongju or Daegu?

Gyeongju is nice, but pretty spread out. We had a car and it is my Korean sister's boyfriend's hometown, so our own personal tour guide. I would recommend going there. We were staying in Daegu and driving to Gyeongju. We were only in Daegu because that is where my dad currently lives thanks to the U.S. Army.

What we heard from everyone was "Welcome to Dae-frica." It is the hottest city in Korea with the geography of the surrounding mountains. Daegu + Africa = Daefrica. Even our taxi driver told us "Welcome to Dae-frica." My sister was translating as Korean is her first language. :)

There was nothing special about Daegu that you can't get from other places. The Shinsegae department store adjacent to the KTX station (which is DongDaegu station) is really nice.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 17:17
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
388 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Gyeongju or Daegu?

If you are interested in the Temples, then I would suggest a Temple Stay in Gyeongju.

https://eng.templestay.com/temple_info.asp…

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,331 posts
274 reviews
5. Re: Gyeongju or Daegu?

Gyeongju is indeed spaced out but there are three main areas: 1 is the "Tumuli Park" area; 2 is Bulguk temple and 3 is Namsan.

Bulguk Temple complex is a must see from my point of view.

Given ease of bus transportation, I think you could do 1 and 2 easily in a longish day; better if you have an overnight.

I have NEVER seen anything interesting in Daegu, I'm afraid. I've worked there and my coworkers found it strange that people, esp from Singapore, make a beeline for it. Someone is good at promoting the place!

Edited: 07 August 2018, 22:06
California
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
335 reviews
6. Re: Gyeongju or Daegu?

Maybe Daegu is uninteresting, but good base to go see Haeinsa.

Reply to: Gyeongju or Daegu?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted