We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Residence for a family of 2 adults and 1 toddler

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Residence for a family of 2 adults and 1 toddler

I apologize for another redundant where-to-stay question and thank you in advance.

I am planning to visit Korea (mainly just Seoul) this October for 2 weeks.

I will be traveling with my husband and one toddler (2 year-old).

Considering the length of the stay and having a toddler, after many days of combing through many reviews, I have decided to go with residence stay (I believed it is also called "serviced apartment").

Yes, I have thought of Airbnb, but as many reviews pointed out, those Airbnb places are often far from the subway stations. A mere 10 min walk for adults doesn't mean 10 mins for my toddler, who finds everything fascinating from rolling leaves to flying bugs. For transportation, we will be using mostly subway and taxi.

So far, I have looked at (using booking.com and agoda.com):

Oakwood (Samsung station)

Pankyo residence (Pankyo station)

Fraser Place (Namdaemun)

Orakai (Insadong)

I just don't know any better, please suggest any other residences you know.

My budget is: max. $150/night.

Previously, I have stayed at Coex hotel for business trips. Considering this is the only area I know (I didn't get much chance to do sightseeing on my business trips), I'd like to stay at Oakwood, but at $250/night, it is over my budget.

Our plan for the trip consists of sightseeing palaces, Han river, kids cafes, shopping, eating, family time with my elderly parents (they are not familiar with Seoul as they live outside Seoul).

Although I speak fluent Korean, I left Korea 18 years ago that I am so lost. Korea is not the Korea I used to know. I feel like it would be much easier to decide where to stay once I can narrow down to one or two neighborhoods, but I have no clue as to what is a suitable area for a toddler.

Thus, in a nutshell, I am looking for a residence in a clean, safe neighborhood yet close enough to many attractions that is:

- Clean and safe with rather thick walls (I have read some reviews talking about adult activity noises from other rooms at certain residence places- no offense, we were all young once).

- Budget max. $150/night

- Close to a subway station

I'd be grateful for any replies. Bless you for reading my long tedious post. Thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Fraser Place Namdaemun Seoul
Fraser Place Namdaemun...
809 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Orakai Insadong Suites
Orakai Insadong Suites
579 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
2 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Residence for a family of 2 adults and 1 toddler

Have you looked at the Somerset Palace? Very close to Gwanghwamun. Has breakfast too. Lots of new arrivals for foreign embassies are housed there temporarily. Should fit your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Somerset Palace Seoul
Somerset Palace Seoul
780 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Residence for a family of 2 adults and 1 toddler

How about checking Hyundai Residence, Chungmuro Residence & Hotel, K-pop residence (several locations), Co-op Residence, Coatel Chereville, and Urbanplace Gangnam??

If you understand Korean, please try to search accommodations in Hangul; I believe you can get better rates. I had an experience that my Seoul hotel's staff made a 5-star Sokcho hotel (next destination) reservation for me in a low price. They used a popular Korean booking site that I don't remember. The hotel original websites have to be checked also; because I know they are doing nice promotions/packages written only in Korean.

I went to Seoul for weekend escapes and theather-going several times; and found that staying in a residence hotel is much nicer than low to mid budget priced hotels. I use Seoul based travel agencies that having imy language version (JPN). They are very informative and quickly reply my questions by Emails. "Utravelnote" I use often has English also: select "Residence" at "hotel Class" section on the left side on the page; so that you can see the hotel list.

http://www.travelnote.net/hotel/seoul

Mentioned in this post
Hyundai Residence
Hyundai Residence
395 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Chungmuro Residence & Hotel
Chungmuro Residence...
102 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Coatel Chereville
Coatel Chereville