We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip itinerary for Georgia - worth to travel to Armenia too?

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
51 posts
30 reviews
Trip itinerary for Georgia - worth to travel to Armenia too?

Hey guys,

I would like to ask you for couple of your advices regarding to my trip to Georgia in April. One of members here sent similar question few days ago, however I am traveling alone from Budapest (4th of April, ariving at 5 AM local time) and leaving the country on 9th of April (early morning - around 5:30 AM). I will arrive at the airport in Kutaisi.

First of all - I am not willing to hire a car (I don't think that I'm that good driver to experience new country by car), so I prefer to travel by public transportation only - busses and eventually trains.

Can you give me some advices where to go and what shouldn't be missed during my short visit in Georgia? Ideally places where the public transportation is available and convenient to travel around.

First day (4th of April) with one overnight stay I plan to spend in Kutaisi. Then I'm flexible to travel around. So I have 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th of April available for additional trips around Georgia. I understand that traveling by public transportation is not the most convenient way for sightseeing, but that's my limitation, so I have to handle it...

I think that short stay in Tbilisi is a must, so I plan to go there too. And then I was thinking if it's worth to go to Armenia from Tbilisi (most likely by train). So my question is - is it worth it? For one day, or max. two? Let's say from 7th of April till 8th of April and then in the afternoon going back to Tbilisi and to Kutaisi airport...

Some additional info and questions:

- how long are trains or public transportation between cities operating?

- where should i change money? Is it fine to do it at the airport in Kutaisi?

- I plan to do some couchsurfing, or to combine it with hotels.

- What's the weather like usualy in April?

- What about the personal security? Is it safe to walk around, even during the night and alone?

- Do people understand english?

- What kind of traditional food/beverages should i try?

- Are there any typical souvenirs which should I buy? I plan to buy your famous wines on my way back :)

Many many many thanks for your advices

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Trip itinerary for Georgia - worth to travel to Armenia too?

Hello, first of all, if the public transport is the only way-save Armenia for the next trip. I will suggest you to travel to Tbilisi on the same day from the airport. 20 Gel and in 4 hours you will be in Tbilisi. 4th April - pend a day there.Next day 5.04 - take public transport from Didube bus station to Kazbegi and come back in the evening. 3rd day 6.04 - Tbilisi-Batumi. 7.04 - Public transport to Kutaisi after midday. Whole 8th of April you've got for Kutaisi. Take taxi to see Motsameta monastery, Okatse canyons and Prometheus caves ( Or Sataplia caves) . Go to the airport in the morning.

Best regards,Irene

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
51 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Trip itinerary for Georgia - worth to travel to Armenia too?

Awesome. Many thanks Irene

3. Re: Trip itinerary for Georgia - worth to travel to Armenia too?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2017, 09:47