We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgia on my mind...

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Georgia on my mind...

Greetings--

I'll be visiting Georgia from April 28th to May 9. I'd like to keep my stay very simple--Tbilisi and and a mountainous region. Which would be more practical at that time of year--Svaneti or Tusheti? Are the hiking opportunities the same? It does seem that Svaneti is easier to reach.

Thank you,

Christopher

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
1. Re: Georgia on my mind...

You are Welcome, You are right, Svaneti is easier to reach. Roads are open even in winter. I think there will be still snow on the Tusheti roads in May. I've been in Tusheti and even early in September there was an ice on some part of the rivers.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Hi,

The main road in Tusheti is closed till the end of May, no other chance to reach this area.

Easier to visit Svaneti, are you good hiker (glaciers etc.) or explorer hiker? I have made few trips last summer from Mestia, Svaneti. If you are interested in more details I can share my experience.

Best,

George

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Hi Christopher,

It is easy and safe to reach Svaneti than Tusheti. You can reach Tusheti only in Summer: June, Jule, August if there is not a rain or no mud. In rainy days the road is closed to Tusheti. In April you may reach Tusheti by helicopter if you have a chance to get it.

In Svaneti there are many trekking and hiking paths, but the weather will be the same like in Tusheti, rainy, cold and muddy. The best weather for hiking and trekking in Svaneti and Tusheti mountains is Summer only: June, July and August.

Best regards,

George

Private Daily Tours in Georgia

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Thank you everyone for your assistance. So, for easier treking/hiking in late April, I should be in places at a lower sea level.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Hi,

Exactly. Borjomi-Kharagauli Park or Lagodekshi forest reserve will be fine. However you can check the Weather in Mestia in late April, so if the weather allows, you may go trekking in Mestia too, in short distance. But as usual, there may be rain, mud and snow in some parts of trekking areas in April in Svaneti.

Best regards,

George

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Georgia on my mind...

The same situation will be in other places as well (Borjomi, lagodekhi etc.). If the spring will be rainy in general, most of the places will be muddy and not only Mestia.

best,

George

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
165 posts
7. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Hi

So We Cant Be Sure About The Weather At That Time.But For Sure There Will Be One Of Those Places Available For Hiking.

Best Regards

SmarT Travel Georgia

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Hi,

Good period for trekking and hiking is Summer, when nature is more dry and warm. But if the traveler is visiting Georgia in April, then Borjomi and Lagodekhi forest reserves will warmer than Mestia mountains. So the traveler has to decide he wants to go for trekking in a warm or cold weather. He has to expect also that there may be rain in April in the mountains and forests in Georgia.

Best regards,

George

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Thanks, George (and all other Georges). I'll just pack appropriately. Rain and cold are a part of life.

What can you tell me about the Pankisi Gorge?

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: Georgia on my mind...

Hi,

Pankii gorge is populated by Kists, chechen ethnic group living in Georgia. You need to take a car or public transport to Pankisi gorge; 138km from Tbilisi to village Dzibakhevi in Pankisi; Public transport or shared taxis leave from Ortachala Station to Pankisi villages; Hiking Distance: 11-12km one way, 1500m in vertical. Tbatana village is located on the level of 1900-2000 in alpine zone looking over Kakheti and the whole Pankisi gorge. This is summer pastures of local people. So it is also available after end of April. From Tbatana you can continue and reach Tusheti National Park. There is 5-day track from Tbatana to Tusheti mountains. 68 km distance,

I have been there some years ago and at the end of May there was still snow. I would not recommend to visit this place during you visit.

Best,

George

Edited: 10 February 2017, 23:13