We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks changing currency

UK
Level Contributor
615 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Banks changing currency

I heard that banks will be changing currency from this month is this true.

Lynda

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,027 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banks changing currency

Please see the recent post "Information about the Kyat"

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Banks changing currency

yes , official exchange centres will open in bank also in another places

UK
Level Contributor
615 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banks changing currency

Many thanks I doulbt we can obtain extra money if we run out.I am trying to work out how much I will need to cover hotels trav el and food for a month.

Lynda

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
971 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Banks changing currency

AGD bank has already opened an official exchange counter at airport since Oct 24th. Buying Rate 790, Selling 800.

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Banks changing currency

For a Month ?

no problem for Hotels , Flights , Foods in Hotels , caz they accept USD

in Yangon and other town

but except Yangon , if u visit yourself without agency,

economy guest house ,meals in Restaurants and shopping will need Kyats , MMK , myanmar kyats

so u have to exchange USD to Myanmar kyats before leave Yangon

1500 USD for 10 days ,roughly estimate and seat-in-coach program, excluding international flights

regards

Judy

America
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Banks changing currency

How to send Myanmar kyats to USA , is it from Banks or Agency please inform me as soon as possible . Email :Rampui.sanate@hotmail.com

Edited: 02 March 2012, 16:48
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,027 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banks changing currency

You can't,kyats are not a convertible currency

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banks changing currency

The bank at the airport is open normal business hours so if you arrive outside those (e.g. on the evening Thai flight from Bangkok) they'll be shut. But most hotels and travel agents change money, and the street changers were still very much there 3 weeks ago in Yangon, offering a better rate than the bank (then, 850) - but you have to go through the hassle and risk of changing money on the street.

St Augustine
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Banks changing currency

Hello,

I was surprised by the large amount of money you mentioned for the last question, but then you were including airfares within Myanmar. I have three questions: All my airfare, hotels, and major sightseeing is accounted for. (1) Now I am trying to decide what to bring for 11 days of lunch and dinners? (2) And if I want to eat in local, not hotel restaurants, I understand I should change my dollars into MMK? (3) Should I plan to tip guides and drivers with dollars or MMK?

Thank you for any help

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Banks changing currency

is the official exchange rate the same as the exchange rate from other sources ? Is there a black market and if so do you need to use it due to a poor official, legal rate or can you change money from any source and get a comparable deal ? Must you have US $ ? Is the condition of the notes still an important thing? Please help me.

Get answers to your questions about Yangon (Rangoon)