We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?

California
Level Contributor
970 posts
355 reviews
Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?

I'm a phobic flier who manages to get around. I've taken a lot of ATR-72s for short jogs around Asia and the South Pacific. They're usually okay (with my eyes closed).

Is there much turbulence though on these flights in Myanmar? I keep reading that the Bay of Bengal is horrible for commercial liners. I want to prepare myself for whatever, so for those who have taken domestic flights around Myanmar, do they tend to be very bumpy?

Thanks. Sorry it's a dumb question. The airports seem to lack places to have a shot of whiskey for fortitude, and I don't think I can get valium in the pharmacies over there either! So knowing in general would be helpful.

I will be there in winter.

5 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
243 reviews
1. Re: Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?

so far I have been taking domestic flight in Myanmar and there was no issue.

There are lounge and bar in the airport. I am not sure can get the whiskey or not.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
18,028 posts
410 reviews
2. Re: Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?

I have flown 50+ sectors in Myanmar and never suffered unpleasant turbulance-but I always visit between late October and the end of March, never in the monsoon season.The only flight that had light rocky ride was a MAI brand new 737 at 24000ft from Yangon to Mandalay and the flight deck apologised because of strong cross wins...

I love the ATR's and the views from 16000ft.

Buy small bottles of local whisky from shops at Yangon airport

SS

California
Level Contributor
970 posts
355 reviews
3. Re: Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?

Ah, thanks! This is most reassuring. Very appreciated! It sounds like it's pretty smooth (and I'll take wine if they have a glass).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
243 reviews
4. Re: Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?

Have a safe flight!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?

Smooth as silk. You can buy local whiskey very cheap, half bottle is about $2 or less, but I think the rum is better, similar price. Watch out for fog at Heho this can delay flights in the morning in winter.

Reply to: Are domestic flights in Myanmar pretty smooth?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted