We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help - have to make a decision!!!

wellington
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Need help - have to make a decision!!!

Hi all

I really have to make a decision about where we are going to stay when we go to Vanuatu in two and a half weeks!! We have the last 6 nights sorted but not the first four. We have three kids - 9, 6 and 20 months and we can't decide between Lagoon Beach Resort, Paradise Cove, or Tranquillity Island or a mixture of two of them. Any advice much appreciated (on these or good alternatives), We want a great beach experience with easy snorkelling for the children. I really like the sound of Tranquillity but am a bit worried that the children might find it too hot (we are coming from an NZ winter).

Thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

First of all, just stick to one place. With three kids in tow you won't want to be adding extra relocations into the mix.

Personally, I'd choose Paradise Cove from your three options. The beach is quite nice and you can easily snorkel right out front, plus there is the pool to enjoy.

Really you must make your own choice though and then relax and go with it. All of Efate is easily accessible as it is quite a small place.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

If you want a good beach, then I'd rule out Lagoon Beach Resort, as it isn't a good area to snorkel in that part of the lagoon. But it is a good resort for families.

Tranquillity is beautiful, however be aware the accommodation is very very basic island style. Why not take the kids for a day trip there?

enjoy your holiday LTB

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

Exciting then, not long now! Just wondering why you would think it will be hotter at Tranquillity Island? It is only a few minutes from the main island of Efate. Sometimes it does have more sunshine on that side of the island when it's raining in Port Vila, but otherwise has the same temperatures as the rest of Efate. As LTB said though, it is very basic accommodation, and very different to the other two you have in mind. If you are happy with island-style bungalows, then it is a beautiful location with lovely beaches and snorkelling. Otherwise your other choices would be better.

Where have you chosen for the other accommodation? Maybe pick something different to the second place for first, either location-wise or type of accommodation. Either way, I would definitely stay put for the whole four days to minimize stress and make the most of your time relaxing and enjoying your family. You will love it!

Cheers, Barbara

wellington
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

Thanks Barbara - we are staying at Aquana Beach Resort for the last 6 nights - that's all the space we had, that's why we have to find somewhere else for the first 4 nights. I meant that I was worried that Tranquiliity might be too hot as there obviously wouldn't be in fans or air conditioning there and we wouldn't have acclimatised - wondering if it would be too hot for the children, especially the little one, but we are not worried about the fact that its basic, just the heat and what we would do if it rained! I have also seen that you can stay at Pepe Island which looks lovely, but I think its even more basic? Which out of Paradise Cove and Lagoon Beach would you recommend?

wellington
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

Sorry I meant that's all the space THEY had!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

Ahh I see now Wellington - I'm not sure how humid it is over there now, as I've visited Vanuatu now three times in March, when it's really hot and humid. We were also worried about how we would cope with no aircon, but found it fine. I would actually prefer not to have aircon at that time of year now, because it's much easier to acclimatise without it.

Kids are pretty resilient and you might find they don't even notice the heat. Only you know your kids though of course. I'm sorry I can't help with the other two possibilities as I haven't seen them. We stayed at Havannah Eco Lodges on the main island where the boat leaves for Tranquility, and absolutely loved it. We visited Tranquility (local name is Moso Island) on the Coongoola Cruise - just beautiful.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

We've been in October and didn't find it hot at all, wasn't humid either, but it was overcast a few days. However we live in Queensland, so it doesn't get as cold as Wellington so not as much of a climate shock. Also there's usually there are cool sea breezes in the afternoons if you are staying right on the beach

Sure you'll have a wonderful holiday

Sydney
Level Contributor
133 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

Hi Wellington, if you're not worried about basic accommodation, then I'd go with Tranquillity. It is really beautiful and your children will love having free run of the island and being able to visit the turtle sanctuary when ever they want.

Good luck, Annette

9. Re: Need help - have to make a decision!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 15:46
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila