We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

There are some great deals going at the moment for Vanuatu for travel November to March. I am guessing this is not a popular tourist time.

Where is the best snorkelling, where to stay with 2 teenage boys.

How bad is the weather?

These questions I ask myself....any comments?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

Welcome sidcam

November to March is wet season & also "potential" cyclone season (though cyclones and rain can happen any time) thats why its cheaper. It will be extremely humid & its just pot luck with the rain. I have only been once in true wet season & saw the most sunshine I've ever had in many trips there. It would just pour down madly for 10 minutes, then the sun would be out again for hours. Its always hot & really no problem swimming or snorkelling in the rain for teenage boys I'm sure!

If you are looking to stay in Port Vila, I'd suggest Le Lagon-or perhaps Snorkellers Cove at Irririki-both great for kids-& if they arent serious snorkellers they would probably be quite happy as theres plenty to see.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

I absolutely agree with AnniG's recommendations re accommodation. It does depend greatly through on how much you want to pay and if you want to be in town or not. Another idea is the villa on Hideaway Island. One of the forum regulars was going there this year - might be a review if you look – 2 bedroom ocean side villa. Brilliant snorkelling here www.hideaway.com.vu/accomodation.htm

Regards

Suzi

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

Agree with both Suzii and Anni, I 've been in November and we had a few showers at times, but cleared up and wasn't too hot and humid

Cyclones seem to be getting later in the last few years with late December until early April, and the one's we get in Qld usually come via Fiji and Vanuatu. This coming summer is predicted to be the worst cyclone season for years, so hence the cheap deals I guess.

Having said that don't be put off, book one of the great deals and go. All the predictions may be wrong.

Hideaway Island is a great place to stay for teenagers who love snorkelling, and only a short ferry and bus ride into town if you want to visit.

Edited: 27 October 2010, 15:08
Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

We have booked the 2 bedroom villa on hideaway for beginning of march (I think I am the one suzi mentioned)

Jody

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

Jody you have not been yet? I thought you were going ages ago. Looking forward tom your thoughts as it would be perfect for us.

Regards

Suzi

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

our last 3 visits to Pt Vila have been in late Feb to late March ( cheaper) and loved it. The climate is just like Brisbane - probably not as hot. Vanuatu is roughly the same distance south of the equator as Hawaii is north of the equator. There are other factors involved but both climates should be similar.

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

Yeah suzi.......Im still hanging around waiting and counting down!! 4 months yesterday till we go.

Jody

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

Don't you just hate the long count down - 7 months and counting, planning, researching until our next trip!

Regards

Suzi

Edited: 29 October 2010, 02:43
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

Hi sidcam,

Christmas week to new year is rather chokkas so be aware of that.

Good places for snorkelling around Vila include Hideaway Island, Paradise Cove, Iririki Island and also Erakor Island, Pacific Lagoon Apartments.

Also look at Santo (Pekoa airport) and Oyster Island.

If you stay somewhere a bit away from the better spots you can easily bus it to wherever you want to go. It costs about the equivalent of $2 pp to go to most of the previously mentioned spots and you just grab a passing minibus (no shortage) and tell him your destination and you'll be there in minutes.

As an example, we've had a few excellent weeks at The Melanesian. We picked it for its good value at the time and the fact that breakfast was included. We would walk to town any time we felt like it and to go further afield we'd grab the next bus (there's one every minute or so) and zip off to Erakor or Hideaway or wherever we wanted to go for the day.

The weather will be humid and probably quite hot but not unbearable as long as you have a ceiling fan or aircon for night time.

As to cyclones they can occur at any time of the year but are more prevalent around Feb/March but they don't happen every year and most Vanuatu buildings have been through them many times before so the resorts know how to prepare for such events.

As to rain. It rains a lot. It is the tropics. But fine weather is so spectacular that you'll forget about the rain within minutes. It doesn't rain every day but sometimes it seems like it. What usually happens is you get a tropical downpour on one day and then the next day is alive with sunshine and light with the colour contrast ramped up to eleven out of a possible ten.

Just as well I'm not prone to exaggeration.

Book. Go. Your boys will love all the water stuff. It is a friendly and relatively safe location for teenagers.

Jen

10. Re: Snorkelling, teenagers, weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 11:17