We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Story boards?

J&S
Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
203 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Story boards?

Purchased a lovely story board on our last trip to Palau 8 years ago. We always get comments and inquries about it...it is beautiful... We are coming back for a dive trip in October... any recommendations on the best place to find another?

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Story boards?

Hi there!

Yes, the local prison (downtown Koror) has a very big choice (also good quality & price) of storyboards. Can't remember the opening hours, but just ask a local - they all know about it.

We'll be there in October too (for the 4th time) and we are very much looking forward to it :-)

Regards, niknak

Mentioned in this post
Koror
Koror
Koror Island, Palau
J&S
Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
203 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Story boards?

Thanks! We are going mid october. Starting out with a week in Peleliu... Safe travels to you!

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Story boards?

@ J&S: You're welcome! We're staying near Koror (2 weeks from 19th) but will also go on day-trips to Peleliu - they have great dive sites there.

Have a nice trip too! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Koror
Koror
Koror Island, Palau
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Story boards?

We were just in Koror, Palau in August, and I got a small story board from the Prisoner's Gift Shop in downtown Koror. It is located next the police station, and next to other government buildings.

I found the selection at the Prisoner's Gift Shop was significantly better than the selection at the Etpison Museum.

I was told that the Prisoner's Gift Shop is open everyday, but as I recall the hours are restrictive. I can't remember exactly, but I think it's open for just a couple/few hours in the afternoon.

The big tip I have to offer is to negotiate the price at the prison. The first time I visited the shop, I left disappointed at the prices. Then a local cop told me to start negotiating at 60% less than the asking price. The next day, that was exactly what I did. When negotiating, they bring in the prisoner who created the storyboard, and you negotiate with that prisoner in person. Interesting experience! This provides even more "story" to your storyboard. We agreed to (and shook on) $80 for his storyboard, which was listed at $175.

Mentioned in this post
Koror
Koror
Koror Island, Palau
Etpison Museum
Etpison Museum
93 Reviews
Koror Island, Palau
ParkerPalau
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Story boards?

WOW! Can't understand why you would bargain a price that much. After all a lot of work, time and talent went to making a storyboard. Doesn't mean they are in prison so you can intimidate them. Hope you wont do that. Never get the advise from a Police. They don't care how much work went to it. In the US every hand craft is so expensive and so you should have known better. PLEASE don't do that again. Bargain with at least some consideration on how much work went to it. Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Story boards?

You are wrong.

Let it be known that the storyboards at Koror jail are priced with the expectation that you will negotiate the price. This information is not difficult to find on the internet:

www.acfsa.org/Insider/articles/10Spring.pdf

…tumblr.com/post/14281317031/palau-2-storybo…

virtualtourist.com/travel/Australia_and_Ocea…

That last thing I did was intimidate anyone. In fact, the employee at the desk made the first move by offering a 20% discount on any storyboard in the shop (before I expressed interest in anything). They did not have to accept my offer, and it was obvious from their body language that they were used to going through this process.

It should be noted that, at least from what I've read, it is illegal to import goods to the USA that were made by prisoners. However, it is legal in Canada as long as it is for personal use and not for re-sale - but you do need to declare the wood product on the customs form (there is a check-box for this), and they may ask you questions about how it was made, as they did with us.

If you want to talk about "consideration," I would argue a 185% increase in the Koror jellyfish lake permit fee is just that - inconsiderate and even abusive. It went from $35 to $100 per person overnight. This speaks to how expensive everything is in Palau (e.g., hotels; flights; and excursions).

Mentioned in this post
Koror
Koror
Koror Island, Palau
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
ParkerPalau
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Story boards?

If so much concern about the prices, why choose to come? You can go other places cheap. Don't compare us with other countries, please. this is PALAU! We are who we are! None of the Links are from Palau themselves.

A lot of People come to Palau and get the wrong views and information adn Post them on websites. This is one of the reasons a lot of People come and find out that at the end, it was more expensive than what they expected on a small island.

There were reasons why we raised the Jellyfish lake Fee. A public Hearing was held and most dive companies agreed to it. So if it's too much for you by all means feel free to travel elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Jellyfish Lake
Jellyfish Lake
1,154 Reviews
Koror Island, Palau
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Story boards?

You are absolutely right.... Let it be known that this is not the only country with a non-stinging jellyfish lake open to tourists. There is the lesser known (because it wasn't featured on Survivor) jellyfish lake at Kakaban Island, part of the Derawan Islands, East Kalimantan, Indonesia.

In the end, we absolutely loved Palau. But if I had learned about Kakaban Island sooner, I would have explored this as an alternative destination. More savings = more trips.

Travellers should always be concerned about prices. Travellers are among the most exploited for their dollar, encountering absurdly high mark-up prices. If you don’t share this philosophy, then I would love to sell you some items from North America ;)

Take care.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
9. Re: Story boards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 13:47
Get answers to your questions about Koror
Recent Conversations