We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time diving to Palau

Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time diving to Palau

I hope to get to palau next summer. I have been diving the caribbean for years. From what people I dived with who have been to Palau they told me its must !

I was hoping to hook up with Sam's tours. Their reviews looked good. where is an inexpensive place to stay for a week on Koror and dive boat out to all the top sites ?

Also whats the best way (reasonable air fare) to get there thru hawaii or LA I see its Continental.?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
298 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time diving to Palau

I would go through Hawaii; it is a nice way to break up the trip. I think the best price you are going to get from LAX to ROR is probably around $1400-$2000 The airfare prices are high because there are not a lot of flights into Palau. Sam's can book everything for you in package and a lot of people we met up with used them.

Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time diving to Palau

thank you sounds great.

do you recommend a liveaboard to get to better sights or boating off shore and going our just as good i assume.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,598 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time diving to Palau

Sam's has packages with differently priced hotels.

http://samstours.com/accommodations.html

If you're going diving everyday and don't really care about the "ambiance," the West Plaza Hotels would be fine.

The regular dive boats will go to all the good sites. The ride through the Rock Islands make the rides seem shorter than they are. All boats have double engines and go quite fast.

Yes, diving in Palau is a "must"!

Then go to Indonesia -- Bunaken! :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
298 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time diving to Palau

It takes about an hour each way to get to various dive sites if you do regular dive tours.

I would do a liveaboard because you can do 3-5 dives in a day without having to endure the travel time. Plus you beat everyone out to the dive sites and it is a totally different experience not having to dive with a big group of divers. Additionally, it is a totally different experience living on a boat for a week; unforgettable!

Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time diving to Palau

sounds great my friend.

I really just want to fly in and do "my own thing" everyday diving not going with a group from my area here in florida , or a dive package !

\what do you think !!? does the hotel you mentioned have a dive operation there ?? Or who should i hook up with once I get there ?

Norm

in fla. !

Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time diving to Palau

and this is all out of Koror i assume..

Tucson
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time diving to Palau

Sonic, I'm still going through all of your Palau posts and wanted to thank you for your contributions, as I am having a very difficult time finding other Americans who have documented the logistics of getting to Palau. My husband and I are going in November for 4 nights and could really use some guidance.

Could you please summarize your flight route to and from Palau?

After speaking with a United/Continental rep, our current itinerary could look like this:

Tucson --> LAX or San Francisco --> Honolulu --> Guam --> Koror

Koror --> Korea --> San Francisco --> Tucson

Is this what yours was like? I know you booked through Sam's, however I will be using our United miles so I am having to book our flights myself. Thank you in advance.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,598 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time diving to Palau

Dabblebabble,

You can check flight schedules at www.kayak.com It'll give you options. Be sure to click "star alliance." And unclick the priceline, etc. sites, if you don't want online ticketing sites to keep popping up. Remember that you'll be crossing the international dateline, so you will be arriving on the next day. It'll take nearly 22 hours to get there. And over 23 to get back. It would be "better" if you could stay at least a week. Four nights is awfully short to travel that distance........

Your quickest flight without overnight layovers (or traveling to Korea) would be:

Continental – Flight 6517

Operated by United Express/Skywest Airlines 1h 37m

Take-off Sat 6:18a TUS Tucson, AZ

Landing Sat 7:55a LAX Los Angeles, CA

Canadair Regional Jet (Regional Jet) | 1h 37m

Connection LAX Los Angeles, CA

0h 56m

Continental – Flight 641

Operated by United Airlines 5h 39m

Take-off Sat 8:51a LAX Los Angeles, CA

Landing Sat 11:30a HNL Honolulu, HI

Boeing 767-300 (Wide-body Jet) | 5h 39m

Connection HNL Honolulu, HI

2h 45m

Continental – Flight 1 7h 45m

Take-off Sat 2:15p HNL Honolulu, HI

Landing Sun 6:00p GUM Tamuning, Guam

Boeing 767-400 (Wide-body Jet) | 7h 45m

Connection GUM Tamuning, Guam

0h 50m

Continental – Flight 157 2h 00m

Take-off Sun 6:50p GUM Tamuning, Guam

Landing Sun 7:50p ROR Koror, Palau

Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 2h 00m

Return ROR to TUS – 3 stops 23h 20m

Continental – Flight 192

Operated by Continental Airlines For Air Micronesia 1h 55m

Take-off Sat 2:35a ROR Koror, Palau

Landing Sat 5:30a GUM Tamuning, Guam

Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 1h 55m

Connection GUM Tamuning, Guam

1h 00m

Continental – Flight 2 7h 25m

Take-off Sat 6:30a GUM Tamuning, Guam

Landing Fri 5:55p HNL Honolulu, HI

Boeing 767-400 (Wide-body Jet) | 7h 25m

Connection HNL Honolulu, HI

3h 50m

Continental – Flight 508

Operated by United Airlines 5h 18m

Take-off Fri 9:45p HNL Honolulu, HI

Landing Sat 6:03a LAX Los Angeles, CA

Boeing 767-300 (Wide-body Jet) | 5h 18m

Connection LAX Los Angeles, CA

2h 17m

Continental – Flight 6452

Operated by United Express/Skywest Airlines 1h 35m

Take-off Sat 8:20a LAX Los Angeles, CA

Landing Sat 9:55a TUS Tucson, AZ

Tucson
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time diving to Palau

Mamajelli-san,

Thank you for your insight and for pointing me towards Kayak. It appears we will need to reevaluate our timing on going to Palau. It's too magical of a place to rush through :)

10. Re: First time diving to Palau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Koror
Recent Conversations