We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noumea or Vanuatu - which is better?

Mardi, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Noumea or Vanuatu - which is better?

Planning on holiday in sept for my partner and me. Looking for resort style accomation with good pools etc close by to restaurants/cafes etc and touristy areas but not keen on paying TOO much....Which is better - New Cal or Vanuatu for costs ( airfares, prices, value etc)????Pls hel

Toulouse, France
Destination Expert
for New Caledonia
Level Contributor
837 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noumea or Vanuatu - which is better?

Hello,

Most of the hotels in Noumea do not provide entertainment (excepted at lunch time) or activities that you may be looking for when talking of "resort" ...but as far as I remember, neither does main resorts in Port-Vila - Vanuatu. If you are really seeking for "pool and beach" holidays, Fiji or Cook Islands may suit you better.

New Caledonia however has a lot to discover: both amazing landscapes and a singular culture to discover. Have a look at this post presenting New Caledonia, compared to some other Pacific destinations: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294129-i4307-k215…

Regarding prices, Vanuatu is quite less expensive than New Caledonia, as it is less developed, but also poorer in activities and facilities.

To answer your first question (finally!), in Noumea, most of the hotels are located on Baie des Citrons and Anse Vata, which both boasts many cafés, restaurants and shops. Le Nouvata Park Hotel (composed of Le Parc, Le Nouvata and La Promenade hotels) has an amazing 3000m² swimming pool, while Le Méridien's one is smaller but right in front of the lagoon (it is more expensive too). Le Lagon, La Promenade and the Ramada Plaza are also good options, have a look at TA traveller reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294130-Noumea_Grand_…

Edited: 23 June 2010, 01:41
Mardi, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Noumea or Vanuatu - which is better?

thanks for your help

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noumea or Vanuatu - which is better?

Have to agree with nico,

if you want to have fun id be looking at Fiji, but watch out, you might become hooked and want to stay.

Clint.

Edited: 24 June 2010, 04:12
Northland
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noumea or Vanuatu - which is better?

I have been to Vanuatu many times, in my opinion it is a must see! but enjoyed my previous visits before so many ships went there, prices have risen. It is worth going to the other Islands in the group, they all have some thing special. This time I am going to Noumea in April, looking forward to a third visit, more exploring to do. Any holiday is what you make it , avoid what you do not want, eg smoking , however as smokers, it is great not to be nagged at all the time. Vanuatu is great for it's own beef and some pretty good seafood, however did get a dicky tum last visit!!

5. Re: Noumea or Vanuatu - which is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 11:11
Get answers to your questions about Noumea