We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

I recently used Thrifty rental car for the first (and last time).

A nightmare would be the best way to describe it:

1) Reservation was not on record and company seemed to have outsourced the rental.

2) Car finally brought to the hotel, but contract not really fully explained (major problem later).

3) Car turned out to be pretty beat up (inside looked dated and the mirror adjustment handle on the driver's side didn't work), hardly newer model shown on their website.

4) After an accident occurred, they never spoke with me initially at the accident site on March 30th.

5) Told me that since I had signed the contract, I was liable for the excess even though I had questions about the other driver's liability (she made little or no effort to avoid hitting me as she actually forced her car to pass on the right after I had pretty much completed turning.

Also strangely enough, the police were never called.

6) Thrifty staff brought an interpreter to the meeting (where was she when the initial reservation was made?), but she only created more problems, with her and the staff member insisting I had signed a contract with them. They stated the police didn't need to be called, even thought the Thrifty website recommends calling them. The woman told me that no rental car company offered a reduction on the liability access, which turned out to be a lie since Avis offered to reduce it to about 1/3 of the amount of the collision bond.

7) Complained to company by email, but their website indicates a complaint will take up to 21 days to be responded to (nice, since the credit card will be debited by then).

8) Received damage report from the rental car company by email and asked for a translation and also asked if it is usual to only get one mechanic's estimate (in the US you normally need at least 3). Bill rendered in French/ scan copy only.

9) Tried calling their customer service, the company has no international access number, only a 1-800 number for customer service (I live in Japan), Called the reservations number and was transferred to customer service's automated call waiting message and got tired of waiting after 20 minutes.

Strongly recommend to never use this rental car company, I don't know how they claim they are an "international" company.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 21:19
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

I had similar experience with Thrifty in Australia. Despite having the maximum insurance for the rented car they charged me 7000 AUD for under-body damage to the car. Their insurance is a scam. They have 2 pages of exclusions of what is not covered that only lawyer can understand. I had never rented from them since and never will. Nor will any of my friends. AVOID!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

I still feel some of the experience was my fault (using the company, signing the contract, and getting into an accident). I certainly would never use them again as the after service was terrible, and even the original reservation was a problem (when we arrived, it didn't seem to be on record, definite red flag already).

It's a shame as the rest of the NC experience was okay, though I'd recommend cabbing in Noumea.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

Small update, contacted BBB (Better Business Bureau) and filed a complaint a few weeks back. BBB contacted me a few days ago, and said the company had not responded yet.

Calling customer service....... :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

Latest message from Thrifty:

Mr. Kasmer will need to contact the location for any issues that have to deal with damages with the international location. He may contact Mr. David Slabolepszy at dslabolepszy@arcenciel.nc as he would be the only one that would be able to help. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have cause. We are not able to assist any further and have closed our case.

Nice to know they are skilled at issuing empty apologies.

Biggleswade, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

I too hired from thrifty recently early December 2012

Beware how they added 9000 pacific francs to my final bill for washing a dirty car.

What should have been 26500 for the week long period they ripped me off 35500 saying that was the price they had charged me for washing the car.

It really was not that dirty and had I known this was encumbant on me to clean before I returned it, would have done so for a fraction of the cost.

They genuinely have ripped me off.

And it is upon my shoulders to alert other people to avoid using this company and getting stung in the Same way.

Biggleswade, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

Clients Beware of hiring a Car from 'Shifty Thrifty'

They are in the habit of adding unsolicited extras to your final bill, as they did mine.

I was staggered to find an extra 9000 xpf taken from my credit card, supposedly for them having to clean the car upon it's return.

Call me stupid, but aren't they supposed to clean their cars, before hiring out to the next client anyway?

All the responses, coming back to me from a David Slabolepzy, followed the same line in, cleaning the car upon it's return was written in the contract (oh no it isn't) and that effectively charging me what amounts to an extra two days rental charge for washing a car is perfectly justified, Extraordinary.

They are most customer-unfriendly and i would advise you steer well clear of them, they are quite simply dishonest and renting through Thrifty will cost you more than you think?

7. Re: Thrifty car rental= shifty car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 11:45