We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands - first questions comin

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Topic
Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands - first questions comin

After a while, it seems like I am going to get back on the road. What I have had long on my mind is visiting Papua New Guinea and Solomon. This post is being rather tentative and a bit ignorant i know. i just would wish to know some tips from travelers who visited these places.

I intend to stay in each country for circa 14 days and am predominantly interested in getting some ideas of what places I should not miss out. Moreover, I am keenly awaiting any information as for the route to from Europe avoiding Australia if possible. The best would be: Prague - Jakarta - Port Moresby - Honiara. Incidentally, has anyone tried to get to western province of Solomon is. from southern Bougainville in Papua New Guinea by boat? I'd love to make that journey.

I am not really into touristy things, so I would love to go roads less traveled. I was thinking about visiting coastal areas and beaches (for photography), local villages and on a couple of occasions doing some jungle hiking. To understand what i am after, you may refer to my website: 2palms . net

I appreciate any input!

Thanks a lot,

jirikoo

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands - first questions comin

Just returned this past November from both the Solomon Islands (by boat) for 8 days and then PNG for 9 days with stays at Mt. Hagen, Karawari, and Tari and finally Port Moresby. The consortium of gas companies working on PNG for the past 18 months have caused profound changes to the island, its people and the culture. I don't know what you are expecting but I doubt it is what you will see. That said, our experience was very 'educational' as to what 'civilized' society considers improvement. For us it was very sad.

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands - first questions comin

Just returned this past November from both the Solomon Islands (by boat) for 8 days and then PNG for 9 days with stays at Mt. Hagen, Karawari, and Tari and finally Port Moresby. The consortium of gas companies working on PNG for the past 18 months have caused profound changes to the island, its people and the culture. I don't know what you are expecting but I doubt it is what you will see. That said, our experience was very 'educational' as to what 'civilized' society considers improvement. For us it was very sad.

3. Re: Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands - first questions comin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 15:46