We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six days in Guyana & Suriname

Haverford...
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Six days in Guyana & Suriname

Hello,

I'm strongly considering flying to Guyana (solo) in mid-October for a six-night stay.

I'd really like to:

1. Visit Kaieteur Falls

2. Do a jungle excursion (preferably with animal/bird sightings)

3. Spend a couple of nights in Suriname

Is this itinerary doable? Are my chances good of getting to Kaieteur in October? I know that the flights don't go every day, and since I'll be on my own, I'll be dependent on other peoples' bookings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six days in Guyana & Suriname

You shouldn't have much of a problem getting flights to/from Kaieteur Falls. But bear in mind that October is dry season, so there will be less water actually "falling".

I don't think, however, that you'll be able to do everything on your list in the space of less than a week. It rather depends on where you want to do your jungle excursion. Most trips to Kaieteur also take in Orinduik Falls - you spend a couple of hours at each, and you will do some hiking in the rain forest in the Kaieteur National Park where you should see plenty of birds if not too many other animals.

Perhaps someone with a more detailed knowledge of the interior of Guyana will be able to give you more specific advice.

Haverford...
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Six days in Guyana & Suriname

Would someone mind confirming when the dry/wet seasons are for Kaieteur?

I can't seem to find any mention of this online.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six days in Guyana & Suriname

Dry seasons are February to April and August to November.

Rainy seasons are May to July and December to January.

(Having said that, it can rain incessantly in the "dry" seasons and not rain at all in the "rainy" seasons.)

Most of Guyana has roughly the same weather pattern as described above. The only part of the country with a different weather pattern is the far south where there is one dry season (September to April) and one wet season (May to August).

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six days in Guyana & Suriname

Logistics aside, you might really enjoy a read of John Gimlette's new book, "Wild Coast". An extremely readable look at the fascinating history - and oddities - of all three Guianas.

amazon.com/gp/…

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Six days in Guyana & Suriname

Ho MrMinSf,

WOW! that was a fascinating read!

Definitely one of the best I've read so far.

The cost for the 3 countries is around $3000 + from local tour outfits.

You can find them in Georgetown's capital.

John

6. Re: Six days in Guyana & Suriname

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2013, 15:47