We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood

Will be in Bogotá for a few days in the fall. Solo middle aged lady, experienced traveler but don’t speak Spanish. Not interested in bar scene or super noisy area. What are best options for where to look for lodging? I had originally heard Candelaria, also Zona T. Just beginning my research, any advice welcome.

18 replies to this topic
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood

I would look for somewhere around Zona Rosa (Zona T); Park 93 (both of these are within walking distance of each other), or Usaquen. These are safe, upmarket areas with nearby parks, shopping centres and lots of restaurants.

Candalaria is lovely, however can be a little dangerous at night - it doesn't sound like you will be wandering out, but if you do - take a taxi.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood

I agree with Bicks. We stayed in Usaquen a few years ago. The Unicentro shopping center is there. The day we arrived, when we got to the property we were staying in, our room wasn't ready (we arrived early) so we walked to Unicentro ate Lunch there and my wife and daughter shopped there. Daughter bought a Leather coat.

There was a 24 hour a day supermarket/pharmacy (Carulla) on the same block where our property was located and you could buy just about anything you wanted there.

On our last trip up to Bogota (first week of May 2018) we stayed in Chapinero. My wife selected that area, because of an event we went to attend, the last night of our 3 nights there, and it was close to the venue. And, we had to leave at 430 A.M. to go to the airport, because of the SAT examination the next morning.

From our property in Chapinero, I bet one could walk in any direction and within 2 or 3 blocks find just about anything they needed, from restaurants to banks/ATM machines, to opticians or whatever.

Suggestions:

(1) Arrange with the property you will stay in to send a "White Car" to pick you up in Bogota at El Dorado Airport. That will probably cost a little more, but it wil eliminate any possibility of issues with taxi drivers and will be far more comfortable. Our property in Chapinero charged us $40000 pesos from the airport and $30000 Pesos from the property to the airport. They sent an SUV. Most taxis here are tiny.

(2) Use an App in your phone Tappsi, to request taxis in major Colombian cities. When I used that in Bogota, to request taxis, everything was perfect. When we didn't do that, we were overcharged. I think Tappsi was just purchased by Easy Taxi of Brazil, so now the App is Easy Tappsi or Tappsi Easy. Highly recommended!

Edited: 04 August 2018, 18:34
Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood

Thanks! Very helpful. I do plan to see some of the tourist attractions while I’m in Bogotá (gold museum, Monserrate, Plaza Bolivar, maybe a bike tour, etc). How accessible are those things from Zona T? Proximity is why I had originally thought about Candelaria, but I know that can come at a cost in terms of some downsides.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood

You will need to take a taxi - no big deal as they are so cheap. Go to Monserrate first and go up the cable car to the top and take in the views. You could then walk back towards Candalaria main as I do, or take another quick taxi.

Beware of Bogota taxis - they seem to try and scam more and more. They do not accept credit cards, so if they ask you it is a scam to copy your card. There is a meter on the taxi with numbers that corresponds to a price on a card they have. Make sure they use that - there is an app called Calculadora de tarifas which you can down load and type in the meter number to give you the correct price. You could also have your hotel give you a driver for half a day (at a price).

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhood

RE: Reply #4 and taxis in Bogota

I second and third what Bicks wrote about taxis in Bogota. The taxis we got with the Tappsi App in my phone were perfect.

The ones we did not get with the App, including one that our hotel called for us, overcharged us.

Had we used the Tappsi App to get all of the taxis in Bogota, we would have saved money and been more comfortable and avoided the problems we had.

Note: Before you send the request with Tappsi, confirm that the address it detects is perfect. If not, correct the address.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhood

Thanks! Also curious about Usaquén....have heard good things with regard to safety, general vibe, etc.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,466 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhood

We stayed in La Candelaria and it was fine. We walked all over during the day and we walked around early evening as well. We were not interested in nightlife. Of course use common sense. You are going to go there during the day anyway, even if you stay somewhere else. If you feel nervous in the evenings you can always take a taxi. We liked being in La Candelaria so we could just walk to all the sights/attractions.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Neighborhood

We recommend Park Way or Quinta Camacho, both easy to go Downtown!

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neighborhood

Usaquen is a lovely area and has a weekend flea market. Lots f restaurants, and a shopping centre nearby (Santa Barbara).

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neighborhood

Thanks! Leaning towards Usaquén. How long is a cab ride from there to Candelaria? Closer to 10 minutes or more like 30+? I’m still just starting to get a sense of the lay of the land in Bogotá....

Reply to: Neighborhood
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted