We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing Customs in Bogota

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Clearing Customs in Bogota

I'm planning on arriving in Bogota at 8:45 pm on an Avianca flight from Washignton DC, and need to make a 10:30pm flight from Bogota to Medellin on Viva Colombia. Is this doable? I'd be interested to know if it's possible with and without a checked bag. I'd prefer to check a bag, but if it's a dealbreaker than I will pack light.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Medellin
Medellin
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
6 replies to this topic
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing Customs in Bogota

without checked luggage, it is doable, provided your first flight arrives on time.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing Customs in Bogota

I assume your tickets are not linked, so if you do miss your second flight you will need to buy a new ticket. Pack light is my recommendation, and also purchase the fast checkin line for Viva - the lines can be long.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
517 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing Customs in Bogota

Have you already purchased the tickets for that? If not, would it cost you a lot more money, if you purchased a ticket from Washington DC to Medellin on Avianca? If you did that they would check your luggage thru to medellin and if you misconnect they will reroute you. If you purchase separate tickets and something goes wrong, it is not the responsibility of the originating carrier to help you. It is your problem. Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Medellin
Medellin
Chicago
Level Contributor
169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing Customs in Bogota

Just an fyi to consider:

On our recent trip 2 weeks ago, we arrived in Bogota on United from Houston at 9:40 pm. It took us about 45 mins to an hour to go through the very long line and the back of the line was longer than when we started b/c several international flights arrived at the same time. We arrived on a Wednesday night.

However, Bogota was our final destination. So if you are merely connecting and won't go through customs until Medellin , then I suppose it should be fine? I don't recall if connecting passengers had to clear customs in Bogota first before catching a domestic connection (like it is in the US).

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Medellin
Medellin
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
517 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing Customs in Bogota

OP have you already purchased your ailine tickets from the 2 carriers? If so, you can stop reading this reply.

If not, when I used Google Flights, the first thing that came up was on Jet Blue all the way. DCA to FLL to MDE.

I'm an Avianca passenger and prefer to fly with them, but JetBlue is very good and that would be easier for you and eliminate the possibility of you paying the bills, if your first flight is delayed and you misconnect. I checked for August 18th and they may not have that schedule running every day. The fastest way on that day woud be COPA and United, from DC with a connection in Panama City, but the connection is extremely short (42 minutes) and you might be delayed into Panama and misconnect, but if you did, they would take care of you.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing Customs in Bogota

Avianca are a basket case for on time flights and if you have a look at today's paper / news it is about to get a whole lot worse due to the resignation of so many pilots after last year's strike.

Reply to: Clearing Customs in Bogota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted