We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you travel in columbia on your own

Richmond, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Would you travel in columbia on your own

Hey,

I'm looking for your thoughts on travelling on your own in Columbia

The last trip I did was South Africa where lots of hostels mean it's easy to buddy up with people for trips, but I'm not sure if Columbia is similar?

(I'm 39 in case that makes any difference)

Thank you!

2 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you travel in columbia on your own

You can definitely travel solo in Colombia. There are lots of hostels in all the main cities (Medellin, Bogota, Cartagena) with other travellers looking to hang out. You should have no problem finding group activities. Search around for hostel rankings or guest houses (a good option if you don't want to party with 20 year olds). This forum discusses many.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you travel in columbia on your own

I have made four trips to Colombia. All solo. I stay in hotels -- which tend to be incredibly cheap (except in Cartagena) for what meets my definition of high-end accommodations. The Colombian people are incredibly friendly and talking with them -- even when I have to use my very limited Spanish -- is always an enjoyable experience.

I have occasionally talked with my fellow travelers in Colombia. I especially recall some great conversations in a small hotel in Villa De Leyva. However, when I travel solo, my plan is to travel solo, sometimes with a guide or driver, and not to form ad hoc travel groups on the fly. So Colombia is perfect for how I like to do my solo travels, but I've got no personal experience with your preferred variation of solo travel.

Reply to: Would you travel in columbia on your own
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted