We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, Daughter is going to Syria with her husband

vjd
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help, Daughter is going to Syria with her husband

My daughter who is married to a Syrian is going to visit Syria in July with him . They will being visiting family and I think most likely staying in a Hotel .

I am very nervous about her going there, especially at this time, with everything going on.. Everyone says as long as she is with her husband, BUT I don't trust anyone and I'm worried about her. I know being an American, and a woman doesn't count any more and she has no rights in the Middle East . She has no fear of going ..My Husband and I have a lot of fear as to what could happen ???

Am I being paranoid ?

(Will she have to wear a cover on her head?? Or dress different ?)

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Umayyad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites
Souq al-Hamidiyyeh
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old City
Neighbourhoods
Omayad Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites, Natural History Museums
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,354 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, Daughter is going to Syria with her husband

No she wont have to dress differently, only modestly and certainly wont have to cover her head. Been there and women never had any problems. dont worry. Even without her husband she would still be safe. Syria gets too much negative press coverage in the west, and I know, as I am a westerner. The majority of people never have any problems, and as for the poor canadian girl, well this happens all the time in other countries, and I am sorry for her family, but it seems a one off. Syria is one of the safest countries to visit. She does have rights in the middle east; again dont listen so much to all the hype, usually from people who have never travelled to any middle eastern country, or sometimes people who have never travelled beyond the States. Your daughter will enjoy meeting her in laws, and has every right to do so, so back off and let her get on with her life.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, Daughter is going to Syria with her husband

Dear VJD,

No need to be worried about your daughter in Syria, she will have a wonderful time with or without her husband!

Salaams from Damascus!

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
turks and caicos
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, Daughter is going to Syria with her husband

Hi VJD!

My hubby and I and 4 sons are going to Syria as well in the summer...taking the kids (4 sons) for the first time...we know a lot of people who go every summer and enjoy themselves tremendously! Syrians are extremely kind and most hospitable people. She will have a ball and wish you came with her!!!!!

Don't worry so much! It will be a great experience for her!

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
4. Re: Help, Daughter is going to Syria with her husband

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 00:46