We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Al Majed, Sultan or somewhere else for middle aged lady.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Al Majed, Sultan or somewhere else for middle aged lady.

Hi,

I'll be landing in Damascus at around 9.30am after a long, probably horrendous journey and I want to stay in Damascus for 3 nights before I need to move fairly fast north to Turkey.

My ideal is somewhere reasonably central, comfortable and clean with private bathroom; where I can eat or meet fellow travellers to eat with (I've been advised that I shouldn't go out and eat alone); a place that's got some character and not too impersonal.

Both the Sultan and Al Majed have replied to my emails offering me accomodation. The Sultan sent a particularly nice email saying that they would ensure I got the first room available as I had been travelling so long. Which of these should I stay with - or perhaps somewhere else?

The Dar Al Yasmin looks wonderful - but I'm not sure of their prices

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Al Majed, Sultan or somewhere else for middle aged lady.

Hi MADKhmer,

Both hotels mentioned by you are very nice, Al-Majed is close to Souk Sarouja and centrally situated.

Have a great time in Damascus!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Al Majed, Sultan or somewhere else for middle aged lady.

My wife made a couple of solo trips to Damascus and was at the Omayad Hotel one of those times - moderate price, good location. www.omayad-hotel.com - We've also used the Sheraton and the Cham Palace, both more expensive. I see no reason why you could not step out of the hotel to dine in a neighborhood restaurant or cafe, That advice seems a little conservative.

Syria
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Al Majed, Sultan or somewhere else for middle aged lady.

HI

The Dar Al Yasmin is a very nice hotel and the rooms were about $100 a night when I was there in February (this included - a very nice- breakfast).

I would say there is no problem going out and eating alone at night. I've been in Damscus at night on my own loads and have never had a problem.

Another hotel which I've used is The Blue Tower. Its pretty new and is very modern and clean. The rooms were fantastic with amazing views and the staff were incredibly helpful and sweet. They charged about $80 for a single room. (website bluetowerhotel.com)

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay.

4. Re: Al Majed, Sultan or somewhere else for middle aged lady.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 23:46