We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New airport opening date

Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
New airport opening date

In transit from Athens onto Bangkok with Qatar Air March 2014. then returning same way end of March. Have been promised the new airport will be fully open by then but reading some of the reports I am doubtful. Has anyone a realistic/reliable date this will be ready?

also confused if duty free in transit will be available to buy wine etc. any help greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 18:16
Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New airport opening date

In transit from Athens onto Bangkok with Qatar Air March 2014. then returning same way end of March. Have been promised the new airport will be fully open by then but reading some of the reports I am doubtful. Has anyone a realistic/reliable date this will be ready?

also confused if duty free in transit will de able available to buy wine etc. any help greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 18:17
Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New airport opening date

I have no inside knowledge on this project but I am certain that Hammad International Airport (HIA) will be operational way before your travel date of Mar-2014.

Yes you will be able to buy wine etc from Duty Free during your transit.

Take Care

Beast666

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New airport opening date

@keith: I am not a gambling man but I wouldn't put a bet on the new airport being open! there have been many issues, some still not resolved but Qatar is not the only one to be having delays ... check out Berlin!

hopefully I am wrong as I use the airport every 2-3 weeks and new one looks brilliant, also much needed as passenger numbers (especially transit) have increased dramatically over the last couple of years.

You can buy alcohol whilst in transit (staying in the airport) but cannot take it in to the country, for example if you are having a hotel stopover and are leaving the airport. the duty free shop (for alcohol) is only in the transit/departure terminal.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New airport opening date

@Billa55 I will be very surprised if HIA is not operational by Mar-14.

Lets hope it is, as present airport infrastructure gives wrong impression about Qatar to transiting passengers.

Take Care

Beast666

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New airport opening date

Don't hold your breath????

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New airport opening date

@ qatarman

Is that a question or a statement ? either way, I am very hopeful that HIA will be operational soon and passengers travelling with Qatar will get 5 star service not just in air but also on ground.

Take Care

Beast666

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New airport opening date

Edinburgh is flying direct to Doha 2014 so we are looking forwards to visiting although we will be going on to Goa India. Hopefully there will be no silly buses taking you to and from your aeroplane, Can't stand that !!!

Sunny Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New airport opening date

I transited Doha in mid November en route from Sofia to Kuala Lumpur and I have to say the the experience was awful. We landed at Doha in pouring rain and to what seemed like organised chaos. The bus journey to the terminal took ages and we all got soaking wet whilst boarding and alighting. Once inside the transit terminal the queue for security is massive and takes forever.

I will be returning via the same route in March 14 and I really do hope its open by then. Its not a route I would choose again!

Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New airport opening date

thank you all for the updates.

please keep them coming only weeks now till our transit.

Keith

10. Re: New airport opening date

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 11:48