We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living and working in Qatar

Varna
2 posts
Save Topic
Living and working in Qatar

Hello,

I have been offered a position in Qatar and I am trying to find out the positives and negatives about it. I do not know at this point where exactly I will be, but what is the general feeling there. Is there anything else to do except work? Night life, how are the prices of goods, what type of nationals work there?

I would appreciate if someone can answer these important questions for me.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Living and working in Qatar

Check out www.qatarliving.com you'll find ALL the answers there both positive and negative.

Cheers

Qatar
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Living and working in Qatar

Working and living here is not bad. It is really hot as I am sure that you know by now yet crime is low. It really depends on what you are looking for. Driving is the biggest draw back to the country because people drive like they have lost their ever lovin mids out here so you have to be on your toes at all times. There is a night life here so check out the site that the other person mentioned.

All in all it has been a great experiance for me thus far. Good luck on your decision making process!

Needtobe

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living and working in Qatar

Hi, we've just moved to Doha with my husband's job. Other than working there are loads of clubs/networks to meet people.

All the hotels have something to do, clubs, beaches, gyms, jazz night, comedy night, cookery classes etc. There are many places to learn things, such as a foreign language, photography, silk painting etc. There are loads of places to eat out (but only the hotels serve alcohol). You can scuba dive and there are lots of activities involving the sand dunes.

Most activities involve spending money though. You also have to do a bit of research to find out about them.

I don't know much about outside Doha, but Doha itself looks like a building site currently. In a few years time it will look very impressive - there are a lot of new hotels and buildings in various stages of construction.

The people are very friendly and everyone seems to speak English. The country feels very safe. There are a lot of expats from all over the world. A lot of people I know say that the cost of living is high, but coming from the UK I find that everything is slightly cheaper (apart from alcohol), especially groceries.

Look at www.qatarliving.com/ for everything you need to know.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Doha
Doha
Qatar
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living and working in Qatar

Make sure you contract includes accommodation. If not, at least make sure you have enough for decent accommodation. It's really expensive here and going up all the time. Inflation is a problem here at the moment.

If you have kids, schooling positions are hard to come by.

We have been here 6 years and have enjoyed it. But it is getting quite expensive now. Basically your nightlife will revolve around the hotels ... the 5 star hotels with 5 star prices.

Petrol is cheap. Groceries reasonable.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living and working in Qatar

Thanks for your compliment. But just letting you know that davden is a she :-)

I am an Australian, married, with 4 children (the last 2 being born here) who has expatted in the middle east for 10 years now. The last 6 being in Qatar.

My husband is an electrical engineer.

I love using forums as I too get a lot of info on other sites when we are planning holidays etc.

Hopefully you will be able to post once you get here and help others too.

Another good site, but you probably know it as you have read my previous posts is Qatarliving dot com. They regularly now do get togethers.

Thanks again for your compliment ... makes it all worthwhile to know I have actually helped somone.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living and working in Qatar

In reply to your internet accessability question, no problems at all.

We have wireless and I am a regular user of Skype.

With regards to mixing with the Qatari's that is up to you. You may find some you click with or you may not.

They are a very kind people. However the younger ones can be a bit of a problem. The university aged people behind a wheel are a nightmare. Total disrepect for all around them and extremely dangerous drivers. That to me is the biggest problem in Qatar ... the driving. The Government say all the right things about doing this and doing that, but at the end of the day they are still dangerous drivers ... not just the Qatari's either. Watch out for WHITE LAND CRUISERS ... usually the worst and most arrogant drivers!!

I have found during my time in the middle east there is definately one rule for the locals and one rule for the expats. For example, If you are involved in a car accident with a local, it;s going to be your fault no matter what!!!

Mentioned in this post
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
7. Re: Living and working in Qatar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2007, 22:37
africa
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Living and working in Qatar

hello,

because unfortunately i am visiting this message too late to say anything,but am sure u've managed somehow with the situations!

But am asking u or anyone visiting to advise me how i can manage to secure some job in qatar.I really would like to work there.I am an Ethiopian,25,Chemical engineer-2 years of experience on supervising treatement plants.Please anyone could share experience-thanks in advance!

my e-mail is : habeshayonas@yahoo.com

Middlesbrough...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Living and working in Qatar

Blueyes UK

Hope you are now settling into the Qatar way of life. Hopefully you are based in Doha not Ras laffan.

I was based in Doha for 6 months last year but the thought of moving to Ras Laffan prompted me to reconsider and relocate to Dubai.

I would definetely give Garveys a visit especially if you like a pint of beer at a reasonable price (not the 5star hotel prices). Should you also enjoy watching sport there are more tv's to watch than you can imagine.

Other places of interest I visited were the golf club (mostly the bar)and the Sheraton, though the ramada was another drinking spot I visited. Made many friends in the Rydgees hotel but I believe that was being pulled down.

If your thinking of travelling to Al Khor be careful as you will be travelling the road to hell. I agree with all the other postings the driving in Qatar is appalling.

One other point is their is little to do during Ramadan and alcohol is not readily available so get networking.

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Doha
Doha
Qatar
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
Qatar
Level Contributor
179 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Living and working in Qatar

you can also visit this site to learn mo re about life in qatar, living expenses and housing.

http://lifeonthespot.com/blog/qatar/

lifeonthespot.com/blog/qatar/cost_of_living/

lifeonthespot.com/blog/qatar/jobs_in_qatar/

lifeonthespot.com/blog/qatar/transportation/