We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ladies dress code.

alicante
1 post
Save Topic
ladies dress code.

I would like to no what I should pack when I take my holiday to the Oman regard clothes.

Thank You

Kind regards

Ms. Cotterell

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ladies dress code.

On the dress front - it's not obligatory to be covered up but, personally, whenever we go out I always cover the tops of my arms and wear either trousers or skirts to or below the knee. My hubbie wears trousers (jeans whatever) and a T-shirt or shirt - never a singlet and never shorts. As for the children, (we don't have any so it's not an issue) shorts and a T-shirt will be fine.

This is just a personal thing for us. You'll see plenty of people in the malls wearing stuff more suited to the beach. Besides, the AC can be so fierce in the malls that it can feel positively freezing sometimes - I always have a pashmina in bag for just that reason. The same goes for the cinemas and some restaurants.

If you go the souks on the creek, I'd definitely recommend covering up though. It's a much more traditional part of the City and inappropriate dress can offend. Most hotel restaurants do not allow gentlemen to wear sandals in restaurants in the evenings.

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ladies dress code.

Hugedxb said it all !!

Oxfordshire, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ladies dress code.

Omani's seem in general very tollerant of western dress - but it is best to cover up in more traditional areas, not for safety as such but out of respect.

I definatley recommend linen and good to take a light cardi or similar for coller evenings by the sea.

If you visit a the Grand Mosque make sure you cover your head, ankles and wrists with clothing otherwise you'll be turned away.

You may find some men stare a little when you aren't covered up but it's more in the way a small boy would look at page 3 for the first time rather than in a sinister way.

Stick to natural fabrics and avoid really tight clothes but that's more advise for the heat than anything!!

Most of all enjoy this amazing country and it's wonderful people....

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ladies dress code.

Ditto travelozzy - have a wonderful time ... it's a fabulous place to visit!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ladies dress code.

With regard to dress code, for both ladies and gents, we found this on an Oman blog site - thanks Suburban Muscat, you're a star, and, with permission have reproduced it here. Hope it helps all of you thinking of going to Muscat/Oman for a holiday. There's a lot to read but it's well worth it, especially as most people will be staying at tourist hotels and will only have to think about what to wear if they venture out into Muscat or the surrounding areas.

The following is in Suburban's own words but we have to say that we would totally agree and that this is how we would also tend to dress although some might say that it is a little bit OTT. Anyway, it's how we "dress" in Dubai as well (which is where we live) and, as we see it, certainly in the more traditional areas, both in Muscat/Oman and in Dubai, it's simply a case of respecting local religious/cultural practices.

Anyway, here's the post we found:

Quote:

I've had about five emails in the past month asking for a bit of guidance on what exactly constitutes "conservative dress" or "appropriate attire" in Oman.

I think that is awesome, because it shows that a lot of tourists are concerned that their idea of Conservative dress jives with our expectations for what is appropriate.

*We are free to wear anything we want here, but conservative dress makes a statement that you're not a totally ignorant tourist, and for the ladies it makes life easier.

*Everybody stares here, don't let it get to you. It's just looking, and there's generally nothing implied.

*The dress code for men is pretty simple, long trousers always, and a tshirt or oxford. Longish shorts are fine when the occasion calls for it. For swimming, board shorts are where it's at. Everybody laughs at the guys who wear those little speedo man panties.

*For the ladies, the following guidelines generally apply, but dress for the occasion. A long skirt isn't practical for a mountain bike ride, loose jeans just don't work for snorkelling... etc... That's all cool

*If you are Blonde, you will encounter a hundred times more hassle than if you are brunette. I have yet to figure out why.

*Out in public during the day, and in the evening, it's usually elbows to ankles, no low cut tops. a loose, hip length top is ok with tightish jeans, and a tightish top is ok with a long, loose skirt.

*Wearing shorts, capris', short skirts or tank tops in public, is not the done thing.

*Evenings at bars, restaurants that serve alcohol, or night clubs you can wear short skirts, and plunging tops. I usually cover up for the walk from the car to the venue, and always for the taxi rides. A trench coat or really long scarf is handy then.

*Private (hotel) beaches you can wear whatever swimwear you chose. No topless or nude sunbathing.

*At public beaches I usually swim in a long dress or t-shirt and long shorts over my swim suit and cover up once I'm out of the water

* In the interior, and smaller villages outside of Muscat it's nothing tight, ankles to wrists to neck, generally, again, suit yourself to the activity you'll be engaging in.

* If you go to the Grand Mosque, Save yourself the hassle of finding something appropriate and just go to Lulu and buy a 9 rial Abaya. It will make a great souvenir. Have one of the lovely cashier girls show you how to properly cover your hair, so none is showing. Wear sandals.

My take on the dress code is slightly more conservative than most, Do what feels right for you. It's your holiday.

Unquote

Really hope that this will help all future visitors to Muscat and, even more importantly, other parts of Oman where tourism is still in its infancy.

Again, thanks to Suburban Muscat for all the information and for permission to put the post on this Forum.

6. Re: ladies dress code.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:47